Removing paint from clear resin

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

The Arbiter
Location: Lynchburg VA, USA, Earth, Sol System - Sector 001, Grid 165, Milky Way Galaxy, Species 5618

Removing paint from clear resin

Post by The Arbiter »

I used the search feature and found nothing that could answer my question.

I have been, for about 10 yrs now, off and on, working on a 1995 Caprice Police car for my State Police officer brother. It is an exact replica of his last "blue and grey" . I painted the light bar (and clear resin Whelen EDGE bar) with blue transparent enamel paint. I am very dissatisfied with the outcome and want to do it again.

I also want to keep it decent looking. Not crazed etc. I have very little resin experience and no clear resin experience.

Thanks in advance ...
"Is this a beer I see before me, the bottle toward my hand? Come, let me drink thee. I have thee not, and yet I taste thee still... art thou not, tasty vision, sensible, to taste-buds as to sight?" - Shakesbeer
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Probably the safest way to strip it would be a dunk in the old "purple pond," which is Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power degreaser. This stuff will take the enamel right off but the clear resin should be unaffected.
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

You could also try Simple Green. It may take longer, but, it is kinder to your hands.
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
The Arbiter
Location: Lynchburg VA, USA, Earth, Sol System - Sector 001, Grid 165, Milky Way Galaxy, Species 5618

Post by The Arbiter »

Thanks for the help and advice guys, I have it soaking as I type. :D
"Is this a beer I see before me, the bottle toward my hand? Come, let me drink thee. I have thee not, and yet I taste thee still... art thou not, tasty vision, sensible, to taste-buds as to sight?" - Shakesbeer