Aztec finishes

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Starfleetsof

Aztec finishes

Post by Starfleetsof »

I have an Enterprise-D model that I am going to paint in the Generations scheme. I have noticed that on the real model the different colors reflect the light differently. I have in mind using different finishes with the different colors, such as gloss on one color and satin on another. Has anyone had experience doing this? Would this method be a good idea, or should I try to explore using the glitter-like material people use on the Enterprise-A models?

Thanks, everyone! I look forward to hearing some of the techniques you have in mind.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Pearl paints is what is typically used on the Refit. And the original was painted with several different colors including red, blue and green, and whatever else he could get his hands on. On your scale model, it is important to keep this VERY SUBTLE. Otherwise it starts looking like a tie-dyed monstrosity very quickly.

On the "D" you can simulate the aztecing a couple other ways, and it can be very convincing to layer the effects in order to break up the paneling and give the illusion of a much more complex pattern. The last one I built for a collector started with a base light gray paint, followed up with the aztec decals that Arthur has for FREE right here on SSM, and then sprayed a very light coat of blue or purple pearl through a screen mesh in order to simulate individual panels.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK