masking cone-shaped parts

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

masking cone-shaped parts

Post by Callandor »

I am working on a model of the NASA shuttle and am having a hard time figuring out a good way to mask off around the nose of the shuttle for the grey tip, black stripe across the top of the nose, etc. Is there an easy way to mask off a straight line around a cone shaped object? I really don't want to have to try and paint it by hand.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

You can try wrapping the nose in tape, overlapping the grey area a bit. Then draw the demarcation onto the tape with a good, sharp pencil. Pull the masking tape off, and cut along the mark, (maybe using a french curve as a not-so-straight-edge). Reapply the tape, and paint away.

Another trick is to use very thin strips of tape around the demarcation, about 1mm wide. The thin strips will bend more easily around the curve. And you don't have to try to use one long, thin piece, several short strips will work better. Once you've got the edge masked, back it up with larger pieces of tape.

Finally, is there a clear panel line at the demarcation? If so, you can mask the nose with Parafilm. That stuff conforms to any shape. Then cut the masking away along the panel line with a sharp, new x-acto blade.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I would go with the thin strip suggestion, or you can make relief cuts every 1/8" along a wider strip, cutting almost all the way through. That's worked for me too.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?