cleaning models

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

E-Dub

cleaning models

Post by E-Dub »

This seems the best place to ask this question. Kind of post-finishing. Does anybody know any tricks for cleaning models that have been on shelf for years, without anything protecting them from dust, smoke, etc. Other than bruch and brush. Any potions that will not damage pain, decals, etc but will take the acculumated grime off?
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

If they are clear coated, you can use a mild soap and water, and a soft towel.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

I run warm water over them, lightly, if needed. I dab off, shake off, any excess water and let them air dry. It's not something I do often.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I try to build my models so they can stand up to a good cleaning. Too often in the past I've had problems where even a little soapy water will cause the decals to lift or flake away, small parts to fall off, and delicate weathering to be obliterated. Ideally I'd like to be able to completely submerge the model in a tub of water, scrub it off, and hang it up to dry without any ill effects. (I haven't been brave enough to try that yet, but I'm getting closer). The trick is to make sure the paint, decals, foil, and weathering are sealed beneath a durable finish, preferably several layers of Future and clear flat lacquer. I also don't use pastels any more for weathering; they don't look good under clear top coats, and won't stand up to even a light dusting with a soft brush.

However, when I clean my old models, I use several tricks. I'll blow the heavy dust and cobwebs off with an airgun at about 20 or 30 psi. (I've had models go from being completely clean to covered in cobwebs, with a family of spiders living in the intakes, in under a week.) Then I use several different brushes, from wide, soft makeup brushes all the way down to tiny microbrushes. I'll sometimes run the model under a thin stream of warm water in the sink, but only the areas I know won't be damaged. I don't use paper towels or tissue, because these sometimes leave behind their own dust, which can be harder to remove than the stuff I was cleaning off in the first place.

This is a great subject. Just like other modeling techniques, I'm always trying to learn better ways to keep my finished models clean. It's a running battle! I'm interested in hearing tricks other people have come up with.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

Warm water? Soap? Geez, guys, is that all you've got?

And don't even get me started on yellowed paint and decals. The white of my best shuttle stack (built in aprox '90) is now the color of a brown egg.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER