Fluorescent acrylics from Modern Masters ... help!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dukat, S.G.

Fluorescent acrylics from Modern Masters ... help!

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

I have a fluorescent orange and yellow from these folks:

http://shop.modernmasters.com/products/ ... .81270.0.0

They would be quite literally perfect for painting an unlit KBoP model's engines, but the thing is, I have precious little experience with any kind of acrylic paint. Ever since I started modeling, I've stuck with enamels and lacquers for the "big stuff"; only on occasion do I use acrylics, like Future to prime and seal decals, and/or Future mixed with watercolors to accomplish subtle color variations. Even then I use that sparingly since I've yet to find a superior dullcoat than Testor's own Dullcote. (I tried all manner of others and they simply didn't work on a consistent basis.)

Has anyone used these products? Straight out of the bottle, they're entirely too thick to directly brush onto to, say, a BoP engine. Thin the junk just a little and it's night and day, going from blobby, ugly thick to so thin the clear part barely changes color. And when it does, the paint gravitates toward sharp edges and corners, leaving the majority of the engine piece as clear as when I started :|

Any input would be immensely appreciated.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I have no direct experience with this specific paint brand, but fluorescent paints generally need a white primer underneath them. White enamel or lacquer is a great primer. The primer should be matte or semi-gloss to give the acrylic paint something to grab onto. Shoot light coats with your airbrush and you should get a great result. Good luck with you Bird and be sure to post pictures!
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

Joseph Osborn wrote:I have no direct experience with this specific paint brand, but fluorescent paints generally need a white primer underneath them. White enamel or lacquer is a great primer. The primer should be matte or semi-gloss to give the acrylic paint something to grab onto. Shoot light coats with your airbrush and you should get a great result. Good luck with you Bird and be sure to post pictures!
Thanks, Joe! I'll give that a shot. I'm still a little ways off from painting the AMT/R2 Bird, but I'll post plenty of pics when I start on it.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I sw the title for this thread and I thought it was for the Model Master paint by Testors and not some other MM brand of paint. $130.00 for a gallon????!!!!
Normal?? What is normal??
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

I often use MM florescent red on the back of clear parts with a clear red outer coat. Gives the appearance of a red glow for things like the Enterprise bussards.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

One can always buy acrylic flouresent paints at an arts and craft store such as Michaels and they come in red blue orange green.
Normal?? What is normal??