Cracked Paint? How to do...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

paraclete1

Cracked Paint? How to do...

Post by paraclete1 »

I've been wanting to do a garage dio with painted weathered walls. I know that mixing two different types of paint, one over the other, can result is cracks and peeling, but I don't remember what the types were.

I'm sure I can search it on the internet, but I was wondering if anyone here has tried this already and if so, what did you use and how did it turn out? And do you have any pictures of the product?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Don "Let me buy just one more, then I'll quit... I promise!" Pugh
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I take it you want to have cracks in your paint job?? If so then first paint with enamel paints followed by laquer paints before the first coat can cure all the way through.
Normal?? What is normal??
paraclete1

Post by paraclete1 »

Thanks, nothing I read said about doing it before it dried, but it makes total sense. That's a key piece of information.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Back a few years ago I went and used a small can of light-medium blue enamel on my big PL refit and a couple of hours or so later I went and sprayed some acrylic laquer on the neck and in less than a minute the cracks appeard!!
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

While I do not recommend Apple Barrel craft paint for airbrushing, they DO offer a Crackle Medium you can mix with your acrylic paint. Paint your base coat as normal, mix the medium with your second color, and as it dries, it shrinks and cracks apart revealing your original base coat.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
paraclete1

Post by paraclete1 »

I'll have to experiment with all this. Sounds like any of them might work for what I want to do. Thanks guys.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

You're welcome!!
eeun

Post by eeun »

I unintentionally achieved this effect by painting old Pactra acrylics over a thick coat of hairspray. I didn't let the hairspray dry much, which may have been a factor.
World's Tallest Jawa!
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Quick and dirty description about paints.

An enamel is a paint that cures from a chemical reaction allowing the tints in the paint to reach their final color. A lacquer is a paint that dries from the evaporation of the carrier. Because an enamel cures, it can be "stretchy." A lacquer becomes a monolithic layer and can actually contract somewhat as the carrier evaporates. Often (but not always) an acrylic paint is a lacquer, and enamels are petroleum based (like Testor's Model Master and Humbrols).

So most of the time, I've not wanted interactions between paint layers, so the conventional wisdom is to allow paint to thoroughly cure before applying the next layer, e.g. waiting between main paint finish and the application of weathering. IIRC, this meant waiting at least 3 days for a lacquer (usually an acrylic) and 5 days for an enamel (e.g. Model Master).

Usually, not following these rules causes cracking.