Dull Coat, spray vs. brush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Dull Coat, spray vs. brush

Post by Callandor »

I am finishing up my AMT runabout and I brushed on some MM Acrylic flat coat onto some cement that has seaped out of a seam. The cement was very shiny and I wanted to dull it down. The flat coat I brushed on came out as more of a semigloss or satin. The subassemblies had already been sprayed with the same flat coat through an airbrush. Is there a reason the brushed on stuff isn't as flat as the sprayed on dullcoat?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Possibly it didn't layer as flat as the spray. Give it a few more coats.
Abolish Alliteration
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

The weird thing is that it is actually making the original coat of flat look LESS flat.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Might not have been mixed enough then. I've had flat coats come out satin because I didn't shake it well enough.
Abolish Alliteration
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Brushing a coat of varnish will usually produce a slightly glossier finish than spraying will. The reason is that spraying a varnish delivers the liquid as tiny droplets which are probably half way to being dry when they hit the model. These tiny droplets make the surface marginally rougher and hence more matt. Brushed-on varnish flowss to find its own smooth surface.

To prove this, try spraying a gloss varnish further and further from the model. You will find that by spraying far away enough can give you a completely matt finish!
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson