Future polish in SoCal?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Future polish in SoCal?

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

Can anyone in the SoCal area, particularly San Diego, tell me where they get their Future from?

I've been looking around the usual haunts but can't seem to find any. I check a few retailers websites but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I haven't found anything that just goes by the name Future. Maybe a brand like Pledge w/Future, but that's it. Is this what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Orwell was an optimist...

"You got warp containment problems? I feel bad for ya, son. I got 99 problems but a breach aint one!"

My perpetually unfinished builds
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Future in and by itself no longer exists, the new packaging is "Pledge with FUTURE shine."

I don't remember if the name change was due to a takeover or simply "rebranding."

Ken
Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Ah, great Ken. Thanks a lot, I'll keep an eye out for it

"You got warp containment problems? I feel bad for ya, son. I got 99 problems but a breach aint one!"

Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Just to be certain, is this the stuff I'm looking for?

http://www.floorcareproducts.com/floor-finish/index.asp

kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Dr. Snuts, M.D. wrote:Just to be certain, is this the stuff I'm looking for?

http://www.floorcareproducts.com/floor-finish/index.asp
Correct, I haven't seen the old plain "Future" label since the switchover, I think all of the old stock was removed and sent back.

Ken
kenno3

Post by kenno3 »

I have a model part that I want to polish before I make a mold out of it, so that the molded parts are polished and glossy. I will be casting transparent resin.
The model has a layer of sand-able auto primmer on it currently. And I sanded it up to 2500 grit.

Since the Future name is gone, which product would be better as polish?
"Wood Floor Finish with Future® Shine"
http://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pa ... shine.aspx
or
Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future® Shine?

Those are the only two that had "future shine" in the name.

PS I have Novus polish 1,2 and 3. I dont know if the 2 or 3 is higher grit than 2500 sandpaper. Should I use Novus first (if it even works on Primmer) then Future?
ModelMan

Post by ModelMan »

I just went to two Ralph's, a Von's, a Rite Aid and finally found the 'vinyl and tile' version at a TruValue hardware for $8 @ 27oz.

Don't know if it's the right stuff as the packaging is different than any picture I've found of it and the product 'title' has changed and is not the same as any thread here mentions.

And since it's not called 'Future' anymore and there is more than one product that list 'Future shine' on them, it doesn't help the situation for those of us coming late to this game.
-t
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

OK, you want this one:

I just checked mine and 1. It's the old packaging and 2. on the back of the label it says, and I quote "safe on Vinyl, Linoleum, Ceramic Tile, and Stone floors." I actually used this on my wood kitchen floor and I will never do that again. It made the floor so slick that every time I walked into the kitchen I slid on my socks like Tom Cruise in Risky Business. Problem here is I go commando.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

That's good to know! I was just out yesterday and couldn't find Future anywhere! Now I'll have to look again!
ModelMan

Post by ModelMan »

That's the one. Thanks for the reply! With so many names, labels and vintages it's tough to tell which way is up with this product.

Using it on a kitchen floor... How novel! I might just try that too, I haven't slid on a floor in 30 years (not deliberately anyways!). lol.
-t