Future beading up

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Future beading up

Post by Callandor »

I put a coat of future on my AMT runabout and it beaded up like oil on water. It has leveled out a bit as it dries, but it is not smooth like it usually is. Anyone else experienced this? My base is MM Acrylic with charcoal pencil brushed into the panel lines and then wiped off. Ideas? Any good way to fix this short of striping it?
Underlord

Post by Underlord »

I use MM enamel but I have had a lesser but similar effect. I reduced my future with about 1/4 denatured alcohol and added a drop of liquid laundry soap to reduce the surface tension. Not sure exactly which was the magic bullet, but that sprayed thinner. I've also heard that drops of Windex helps.

For Future information, I usually refer to:
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, if it lasts more than 4 hours, see a doctor. All prosecutors will be violated. Only fools are certain. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. The best advice I ever received was "Don't take anyone's advice. Listen to what everyone says, then make up your own damned mind."
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Very helpful article. Thanks.
Jeff Herne

Post by Jeff Herne »

Charcoal pencils often use a wax base (some do, some don't). Wax on the model would make Future bead as there's little or no surface adhesion.

You might want to try dusting a coat of Future on first, then applying your heavier coat.

J