Paint issues

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Vetter

Paint issues

Post by Vetter »

Well I was planning on posting a finished kit, however after my final clear coat (future) I found this.
http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn33 ... cutey1.jpg
http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn33 ... cutey2.jpg

I was trying a technique I read in a magazine and got more than I expected. Basically I did a gold metal base coat with acrylic cover coats. Besides the black runs there is a blue/green color bleeding through the yellow. The skin tone looks worse in the pics for some reason. I was actually pretty happy with that even though I either can't photograph subtle tones and shading or I'm too subtle with them.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

What brand(s) of paint did you use for the colors?

What primer did you use?

Can you elaborate more on the technique you read about and the intended effect?

Ken
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

Rustoleum sand able automotive primer. Which I've used on many kits
Krylon metallic gold as a base coat for everything but the skin.
Model Master acryl for color coats. Testors steel for the blade.
Krylon matte for the skin and future for the rest of the gloss coat.

As for the technique, if you have modelers resource #17, same subject different kit minus the clear paints. I was looking for the colors to pop a bit more and have a slight gold sheen.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

I've never used those particular sprays, but it looks like the metallic paint wasn't cured yet. If the paint was one you hadn't used before, maybe it doesn't dry like regular spray paints. Not uncommon, and it's not uncommon at all for paints like that to need more time.