Vallejo Paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thomas E. Johnson

Vallejo Paints

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I decided to try this brand of paint out, so I bought a bottle of white and a bottle of black. The black hand brushed pretty good, but the white behaved like a pile of goop. No coverage ability, and it didn't level out at all. It was like brushing on silicone glue. Is this normal, or did I just get a bad bottle? How do you thin this brand for airbrush use?
Thomas E. Johnson
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

It's normal. Regular Vallejo paints are designed for brush painting, but can be thinned for airbrush. I recommend however, that you don't. They offer a line called Vallejo ModelAir that is designed and pre-thinned for airbrushing. If you want to try thinning them for airbrush, use distilled water. Maybe with a dash of rubbing alcohol.

As to the original problem - Vallejo is the bees-knees for brush painting, but it's mainly made for figure painting. If you are trying to cover any sort of large area, you need to add Vallejo's retarder. It's a thick gel unlike most retarders, but works much the same.

You should know, while Vallejo makes a fine product, it's not for every kind of model out there. It's more fragile than most and simply must be painted over a primer, whether by brush or airbrush, and it must be sealed with a clear acrylic.

Vallejo paints are part of my arsenal and I use them on every model somewhere, somehow, but almost always just for detail painting, interiors, figures and cockpits.

hth
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes, just use water to thin. Most anything else seems to curdle it.

They do brush paint like a charm, tho'.
Abolish Alliteration
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

I use the Model Air line as well. Great paints. I haven't tried using them on a large area tho. Mostly just tanks thus far. But they airbrush awesomely. (Is that a word?.... It is now.)
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I use a little dropper bottle of water with some slo-dri and flow-aid to extend the paint. These game paints are designed to be thinned and then you can do all kinds of things with them.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I have several hundred of them and what I do is mix a thinner for them with 60% water, 20% W&N Blending Medium (retarder) and 20% alcohol (91% solution).

As Terry mention they are designed to be thinned and used as a glaze to build up color. However, they can be thinned just enough to get coverage with an airbrush. One thing I have noticed is that they tend to bead on certain surfaces like the Tamiya Grey primer. if this happens give the piece a good coat of dull coat. that will fix it.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Thomas E. Johnson

They guys in my local Hobbytown rave about this brand, calling them the best paints ever and the easiest to use.
Thomas E. Johnson
Thomas E. Johnson

They guys at Hobbytown say they use Windex to thin this stuff.
Thomas E. Johnson
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

I have had bad experience with alcohol. I use slow dri and alcohol with most of my paints, but not Vajello they clump very badly

http://www.happinessismandatory.com/mis ... e_Dish.jpg

Water works a whole lot better. Windex does pretty good as well.
Devin

Post by Devin »

I use their regular paints thinned with their Model Air thinner all of the time. Some of the thicker paints (whites, light grays, blues) you have to thin a lot, sometimes 75% thinner, but they go on wonderfully with low pressure.
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth