Shading possible with rattlecans?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

paradoxum

Shading possible with rattlecans?

Post by paradoxum »

I'm pretty handy with tamiya cans, i've done a few gundam kits with them and they turned out great, but i've not done anything more than a single flat colour on any one peice, so I don't know where to start when it comes to shading.
I'm building a romulan warbird, and I *was* just going to give it a coat of green and then hand-paint some detail like the escape pods etc in silver, but after seeing some images of it painted properly it has made me want to do a similar effect, check it out:
http://www.dyksterhouse.org/~martin/alb ... G_4611.jpg

possible to get an effect like this with cans? if so how?
really dont want to buy an airbrush and do all that malarky ;-;

moderator edited to remove inline image
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Your aren't gonna get that same effect or paint control with a rattle-can because if you 'could' everyone would be doing it and airbrushes wouldn't exist anymore.
Learn the malarky.
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

Tony Agustin wrote:Your aren't gonna get that same effect or paint control with a rattle-can because if you 'could' everyone would be doing it and airbrushes wouldn't exist anymore.
Learn the malarky.
noooo I don't wanna :P

obviously I won't get exactly the same effect or anywhere near as good, but anything that's just not a flat colour would be fine, what if I masked off around the feathers and lightly dusted the feathers with a lighter colour green spray, could it turn out okay?
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

Hey there,

As an aside, folks are requested to not use inline images here in order to keep bandwidth costs low. Rather, if you put links to other hosting sites where images are kept, that would be preferable.

Hope this helps! :8)
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

sure, I don't think i've linked a picture on this forum that *wasn't* hosted anywhere else though, wasn't even aware I could upload images here.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

paradoxum wrote:sure, I don't think i've linked a picture on this forum that *wasn't* hosted anywhere else though, wasn't even aware I could upload images here.
You can't. The issue is often confused and confusing, we go through this every time... :roll: It's solely as a courtesy to the few people who are still on dialup, and for the fact that most people don't know how to edit images so it tends to be a lot of clutter. I hear change is coming though...

Anyway, coming from the world of guitar making (lutherie for the pedantic), I can tell you it is possible, because I've seen many a sunburst accomplished with rattle can tinted lacquer. The "but" is that you really have to have a good quality can with a fine mist so that you don't get a visible spray pattern ("pixels", if you will). I would also practice like crazy.

With that out of the way, all you would need to do is mask the panel in question (Post-It Notes are popular), and go at it.

-Rog
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

Rogviler wrote:
paradoxum wrote:sure, I don't think i've linked a picture on this forum that *wasn't* hosted anywhere else though, wasn't even aware I could upload images here.
You can't. The issue is often confused and confusing, we go through this every time... :roll: It's solely as a courtesy to the few people who are still on dialup, and for the fact that most people don't know how to edit images so it tends to be a lot of clutter. I hear change is coming though...

Anyway, coming from the world of guitar making (lutherie for the pedantic), I can tell you it is possible, because I've seen many a sunburst accomplished with rattle can tinted lacquer. The "but" is that you really have to have a good quality can with a fine mist so that you don't get a visible spray pattern ("pixels", if you will). I would also practice like crazy.

With that out of the way, all you would need to do is mask the panel in question (Post-It Notes are popular), and go at it.

-Rog
thanks, I guess i'll at least try masking off the feathers and doing them a lighter green..don't suppose anyone has any colour suggestions for the Warbird?

I found this as an example http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146 ... G_0134.jpg for tamiya As-23 Light Green Luftwaffe, might be a good match? don't know.. warbird colour seems to vary a lot even on screen
ChrisQ

Post by ChrisQ »

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The new millennium's version of a velvet painting....
Abolish Alliteration
Jason Abbadon

Post by Jason Abbadon »

Buh. :shock:
paradoxum wrote:obviously I won't get exactly the same effect or anywhere near as good, but anything that's just not a flat colour would be fine, what if I masked off around the feathers and lightly dusted the feathers with a lighter colour green spray, could it turn out okay?
I'd check effects from pastel chalks- you can realy get a lot from those...and a little goes a long way at 3900th scale!
Looking really great, BTW- but the real chore on that kit is in the windows (which I'd reccomend making a decal for, really).
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

If guns dont kill people, people kill people....
Does that mean that toasters dont toast toast , toast toasts toast?
prisoner_1079

Post by prisoner_1079 »

Been a while since you asked, did you get anything going on that?

I'd say give it a shot, if it doesn't work out you can just strip it with EZ Off and start over.

I'm learning that nothing in this hobby (or many others) really goes right the first time around, you have to screw stuff up and learn from your mistakes, that's life right?
Currently building: 1:2500 Prolemy Tug/Freighter and Finish painting Gold 2 X-wing from box scale ERTL X-wing based on XW Alliance game. See website for progress.

https://heimdudebro.wordpress.com/
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

prisoner_1079 wrote:Been a while since you asked, did you get anything going on that?

I'd say give it a shot, if it doesn't work out you can just strip it with EZ Off and start over.

I'm learning that nothing in this hobby (or many others) really goes right the first time around, you have to screw stuff up and learn from your mistakes, that's life right?
I just went with the single colour, I didn't wanna mess it up by trying it