Display stand help

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

paradoxum

Display stand help

Post by paradoxum »

I am really struggling with this, I have no idea how to mount the model to a base I have! o_o i've been searching for threaded hollow tubing and all such variants of those words but I can't find anything suitable.. even if I shell out for the pre-built pole from trekmodeler (this thing: http://www.trekmodeler.com/services/tm_ ... d_1000.jpg ) it looks as if the right side in the picture has no way for it to screw or be connected into anything, it's just flat tubing on that side, so how would you secure it in place to the model or the base?

please help!
Last edited by paradoxum on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

If you want something like this, try this: Go to the Goodwill/thrift store, and buy any lamp. This is the threaded pipe that holds the shade on the base.

If not, Gooooooooooooogle "threaded pipe".

Hope this helps, and show some pics of what you're working on! :D
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

Stu Pidasso wrote:If you want something like this, try this: Go to the Goodwill/thrift store, and buy any lamp. This is the threaded pipe that holds the shade on the base.

If not, Gooooooooooooogle "threaded pipe".

Hope this helps, and show some pics of what you're working on! :D
thanks, right now i'm still in the planning stage and buying all the materials but i'll be sure to post pics once I get started.

using that type of pipe you linked, how would I screw that into the base/model, what type of fittings should I use?
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

There are flat(ish) nuts designed to fit that kind of threaded lamp tubing. Thread one nut onto one end of the tube, fit it through the base, then thread another nut on top to cinch it down. They also make another lamp part (I think it's called a cap) that goes over the top nut to cover it up and make everything look nice.

Here's a site you can go to to get some ideas.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

Pat Amaral wrote:There are flat(ish) nuts designed to fit that kind of threaded lamp tubing. Thread one nut onto one end of the tube, fit it through the base, then thread another nut on top to cinch it down. They also make another lamp part (I think it's called a cap) that goes over the top nut to cover it up and make everything look nice.

Here's a site you can go to to get some ideas.
yeah, i'm aware of those nuts but I didn't want to have anything visible on the outside like this guy has done here; http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/jk_ ... ect_03.jpg

that site is helpful, but I can't find anywhere in the UK to order lamp poles like that from, which is annoying, might just have to give in and buy something from the US.
brandomack

Post by brandomack »

Go to the Auto parts store and purchase a "GROUND CLAMP"
take a wooden box and install a block of wood (with holes pre drilled through the wood) inside across the narrow axis.
now, thread ground clamp screws through wood and install clamp.
Drill hole in top of box, put pipe in, tighten ground clamp.
(you will need to get longer machine screws)

Voila. done.

scroll down to the bottom for pictures of how it looks

http://www.therpf.com/f11/jeffs-1-350-r ... ndex2.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-FENCING- ... 1c0b2acc37
"Dr. TRAN has a PhD in KICKING YOUR ASS!!"