Display Stands

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Junk Pilot

Display Stands

Post by Junk Pilot »

I want to mount a model on a display stand and haven't done it before. Is wood a better base and if so, what type? Also, if a wooden base is used what should a wooden stand be used or acrylic rod?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

This is very subjective. A lot depends on what the model is. The only general suggestion I can think of is, cheap craft store bases look like cheap craft store bases. If you're going to use a wooden base, spend a few extra bucks and get one that looks nice. Whether you use an acrylic rod, a wooden dowel, or a metal rod, that just depends on what looks best with the model.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I am not a fan of ship of a stick, the brass rod stuck in a block of wood with the ship positioned level on it. If you're going to do a ship on a stick @ least go for a dramatic angle. Also consider alternative to the ubiquitous block of wood. Railing finials, small resin widget (found @ Hobby Lobby or the like), rocks, tree stumps, etc. All can add some very need dimensions to the model display.
Abolish Alliteration
Junk Pilot

Post by Junk Pilot »

Okay. I should explain what I am intending on doing. I have a number of 2010 Hasbro Star Wars vehicles, such as a Tie Fighter, Snowspeeder, A-Wing, AT-ST and Tie Bomber which I want to display as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive SS replicas.

I don't want to go putting holes in them to run a rod through them rather than using existing openings such as landing gear recesses for them. I am thinking using acrylic rod for this mounted on a wooden base but would like to know what others have done for similar vehicles/replicas.
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Assuming you have decided on the actual base itself, whether it is a wood base, painted block of resin or whatever, then the choice of stand is - as stated - pretty much a matter of subjective preference (and, of course, price).

There are factors that will influence a decision such as the weight of the model, its bulk and center of mass etc.

A wood dowel is cheap but I don't tend to find them attratctive as a stand.

Acrylic rod is a good choice (again the weight of the model is a factor) as it doesn't detract from the model.

Brass rod is a decent choice (rod or tube) as is steel. But it looks best if its polished and bright.

I find that a suitable thickness of acrylic rod is one of the mest mediums. In addition, if you are careful, it can be heated and bent to provide a more dynamic stand. I've tried, for example, the bend the rod to a U shape and have one end inserted into the side of the base, with the other end stuck up a rocket's tailpipe. You can even paint the end to look like a ject or rocket exhaust and enhance the model that way.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I have found that lava rock from a gas grill makes for some very interesting "asteroid" looking bases. I've epoxied these to wood blocks, or even glass mirrors (usually found in the candle section at the craft store) and drilling a mounting hole into it with a masonry bit for the "stick" works really well.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
david bailey

posting aq reply

Post by david bailey »

First of all to display small collectiales i hang them on my ceiling with fishing line.This is a option if you have the place to do it. As far as display stands go i make my own out of wooden drink coasters with a dowel from a chopstick or a brq skewer.For big stuff i buy craft stands from the craft store.They can be painted or stained or decorated the way you want. Another option is to make your own out of plastic divider that comes with deodorant.Go buy some deodorant and it comes with a plastic divider and use it to make a stand,you will need two of them. What you do is glue two of them to your base of choice,you need to space them apart,not too far but enough. They form a stand and your colleciable or model is crandled and rests on the stand.Its not the most glamous stand but looks good unpainted or painted.I buy alot of deodorant for these plastic pieces for my display stands. To save money i buy the cheap deodorant at the dollar store. Basically i have enough for a life time.I sent this tip in to our site here. But remembar to buy two a time,i buy a bunch at a time ,mostly i buy 10 at a time. Hope this helps you out to make a different kind of disply stand for small collectaibles and models.
david bailey
spacecraft guy

Post by spacecraft guy »

Look up the Estes Maxi-Brute X-Wing Fighter (1978 release). It came with a stand - made of fiberboard (close to the thickness of the cardboard used to make cereal boxes) and printed with the Star Wars logo.

It's designed so that the X-Wing can be easily removed and replaced and is very stable. I've used to display all the Hasbro/Kenner X-Wings, and can be modified to fit just about any Hasbro/Kenner vehicle.