blue painters tape question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

blue painters tape question

Post by DeltaVee »

Everyone says blue painters tape is supposed to be less tacky than masking tape. It is...mostly. I've used it twice on a current project. Every time there are always little spots where it clings more and pulls off a smidge of paint right down to the base material. Doesn't anyone make a tape with the stickiness of post-it notes? (No, I didn't stick it across my forehead or arm, etc. before I put it down. Yes, I was in a hurry.)
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

Not all painters tape is created the same. I know from my time in the hardware store that there are different grades of adhesive used. Some very low tack. Check the roll labels for the adhesion rating, some will say "low tack" or use a number system 1 low tack 10 high tack.

Or if all else fails there's always the old talcum powder trick :)
karim

Post by karim »

and in any case, never leave it on for a long time... I made that mistake once... left nasty gluey gunk that only stripping the paint would remove :(
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Um, "talcam powder trick"?

It was on only long enough to spray the model and probably 20 minutes to dry somewhat.
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

DeltaVee wrote:Um, "talcam powder trick"?

It was on only long enough to spray the model and probably 20 minutes to dry somewhat.
It's something one of the old guys at the club showed me. Lets say you want to mask something but don't have any masking/painters tape and the shops are shut. Take whatever tape you have, Cellotape, Scotch tape, Ducktape ?? and place it sticky side up and blow a light dusting of talc over the adhesive to reduce it's power.

After a few tries I got it to work. But I only use it as a last resort.
apsilon

Post by apsilon »

I've never had trouble with the 3M blue tape, in fact I layed it out over paint that I'd only put down an hour earlier just yesterday.

If you want something lower tack I think 3M has another colour that's low tack (lime green IIRC?) or I've found Tamiya tape to be very low tack (to the point I've had trouble getting it to stick in a few cases).
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

One could always put the tape down on some scrap plasitc in order to make it less sticky before putting it onto the model to be painted.
Normal?? What is normal??
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Kylwell

Re: blue painters tape question

Post by Kylwell »

DeltaVee wrote:Everyone says blue painters tape is supposed to be less tacky than masking tape. It is...mostly. I've used it twice on a current project. Every time there are always little spots where it clings more and pulls off a smidge of paint right down to the base material. Doesn't anyone make a tape with the stickiness of post-it notes? (No, I didn't stick it across my forehead or arm, etc. before I put it down. Yes, I was in a hurry.)
Yes, it's called Tamiya Masking Tape.

Quite possibly the perfect model paint masking tape.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. Guess I'll have to break down and try the overpriced professional stuff. In this case, it would have been a time saver. I'll check.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Apsilon has a good point. 3M tape will work well. It may be more expensive, but it is very consistent. Cheap Chinese blue painter's tape, made from lead paint chips, you never know what you're going to get. Kylwell has the best idea though, Tamiya modeling tape. Low tack like post-it notes, and made from rice paper, so it conforms to curves easily. The best of all options.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Not all blue tape is the same. Stick with 3M brand. The lime green 3M tape is an automotive tape. Still very low tack. You could also try Parafilm or just plain ole Post-it notes, depending on what your masking.
karim

Post by karim »

Tamiya tape really is the best for what we do... well worth the price. Not only is it very low tack, but unlike any painter's tape you get in a big-box store (even the 3M stuff), it's VERY thin... you can cross-mask, mask curves, conform to surface details, etc.

It's almost like scaled-down automotive masking tape :)