Cheapest Wash

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

hoth rebel

Cheapest Wash

Post by hoth rebel »

What recipe for a water based wash is the cheapest to make?
I am new to the modeling hobby and dont have a lot to spend.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

You can get a bottle of Apple Barrel acrylic paint (water based) at Walmart for about $0.94. Or coffee grounds.....or watery mud. Thats about as cheap as you can get.
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I guess you need to define '...don't have a lot to spend'.
hoth rebel

Post by hoth rebel »

So just watering down that apple barrel paint will work?
Wug

Post by Wug »

You can but a set of children's water color paint at a dollar store. This is my favorite wash over metallics. It works OK over most gloss finishes. You can custom mix colors. If you don't like the result you wipe it off.

Mike
YOULI

Post by YOULI »

Using Oil paint with a White Spirit wash is not the cheapest but clearly the most efficient one IMHO ;)
1898 model kits so far (1/3 made by the way, but near 2205 with the doubles)... And counting... Am I mad or what ? ;)
hoth rebel

Post by hoth rebel »

So the apple barrel paint just needs to be thinned with water and a dop of dish soap right?
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

hoth rebel wrote:So the apple barrel paint just needs to be thinned with water and a dop of dish soap right?
If you are going that route I would use acohol instead of soap. Sometimes using soap as a surfactent can cause bubbling when you apply the wash, just like soap bubbles in the sink. you might also look at thinning artists transparent inks they are not that expensive.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The absolute bottom line cheapest is probably the ground cheapo watercolor paint (as said above) mixed into a sludge with water and a touch of surfactant like JetDry.

Not the finest out there but it'll do the trick.
Abolish Alliteration
hoth rebel

Post by hoth rebel »

YOULI wrote:Using Oil paint with a White Spirit wash is not the cheapest but clearly the most efficient one IMHO ;)
What brand of oil paint?
What is white spirit?Turpentine?
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I use Windsor and Newton oils. They have very fine grain, and for just washes a tube will last a very long time. I typically use either Ivory Black or Burnt Umber and mix it like 5 part turps to 1 part oil. So I use a pea size ball of the oil with say 1/4 to1/2 oz of turps. In fact I keep a glass bottle of each of my washes handy. They last a long time that way.

I also highly recommend putting a good coat of Future Floor wax on the piece you want to wash. Let the Future cure for at least 24hours before you apply the wash.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Mark Yungblut wrote:
hoth rebel wrote:So the apple barrel paint just needs to be thinned with water and a dop of dish soap right?
If you are going that route I would use acohol instead of soap. Sometimes using soap as a surfactent can cause bubbling when you apply the wash, just like soap bubbles in the sink. you might also look at thinning artists transparent inks they are not that expensive.
Dishwasher Rinse Aid is a good non-bubbly alternative to soap.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson