how do you remove superglue frost?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ashrond

how do you remove superglue frost?

Post by ashrond »

Hi all,
I have a build that I just finished, it’s been on the backburner for a long while, mainly because while it was only 10 pieces after I made a few minor modifications; getting the paint JUUUUST RIGHT took me a loooong time I think I striped the paint of of one part about 6 times XP

anyway, part of the problem arose when I decided to take the model apart after assembly to repaint the 2 outrigger pods, then I got everything perfect and realized after I had glued everything back together that the super glue would frost the flat black paint, and it did. Are there any easy and paint friendly methods of removing superglue frost?
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I've never heard of any cure for that except for re-painting the area. That's the closest 'friendliest' cure I know of. I don't know.
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

ill go mad if i have to repaint :(
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Your only other option is to sand. Virtually anything that'll remove the frost will more than likely effect the paint.
Abolish Alliteration
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

Never heard about a way to remove cyanacrylat frost, other than to repaint the affected area, or to sand it down and polish it (in case it is a clear part).
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I've heard that a coat of future will help.

As I recall, the frosting was one the inside of a canopy, and the guy used a needle to put some Future in and swirled it around, which took care of the problem.

This makes sense, since the "frosting" is more of a powdering of clear cyanoacrylate that has formed on the surface like, well, frost. So it's like putting a clear coat over a flat coat.

Kev
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Future works for clear pieces. Not sure what it will do over a colored area. It is worth a shot.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

A bit of Future is worth trying. After that, your next course of action would be to buff the area with a fine wet sanding abrasive and probably repainting.

It's frustrating, sure.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati