Instrument Panels

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

cerberus

Instrument Panels

Post by cerberus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:33 pm

Does anyone know where you can find generic decals to simulated instrument panels for space fighters or decals to simulate the interior of say the millennium falcon cockpit.

[i]Editor's note: I'm expanding this subject to cover instrument panels in general. [/i][/i]

Andrew Gorman
Location: God-forsaken suburban strip mall hell of Chesterfield County VA

Post by Andrew Gorman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm

It would be nice to have an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of instruments, but most modelers only want one particular panel at a time. There are some good generic ones in the old Revell 1/96 kits like the XSL-01 and Space Station- scans of those sheets and others are at
http://www.ninfinger.org/models/space_m ... ml#classic
I cut and pasted a sheet together and printed it on white decal paper with the home laser printer and they worked just fine. Some small scale window decals can masquerade as instruments- the Perry Rhodan kits were good for that. Another option is cut some instrument panel pictures out of magazines like Aviation Week, or even ads for fish finders. Glued in place they look pretty darn good.

kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:41 pm

TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:52 pm

http://www.exactwebsolutions.co.uk/imag ... ockpit.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/UXuReNWlgbo/0.jpg

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2008/LM-Panel.jpg

You can use these templates as guides to make your own custom decals using Windows Paint and printing them on a color laser.

If I'm not mistaken, there use to be some free sights for downloading scenery, aircraft and cockpit details for the MS Flight Sim game. I believe there were some cockpit bitmaps in some of the files.

TazMan2000

cerberus

Instrument decals

Post by cerberus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks guy's.The sites you all provided yielded a wealth of instruments & dials that I will be able to use on a lot of fighter cockpits. Now I will be able to finish my Slave 1.

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Odd that you'd bring this up, as I've been working on some decals for instruments like these.
Abolish Alliteration

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 am

I'm very fond of the Mike Grant series. while not SF, they're dials, panels, placards etc. which should be applicable to lots of subjects.

Here's where I used some in a 1/48 Mitsubishi Nell.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/220 ... 704701438/
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

esperman

Post by esperman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Kylwell wrote:Odd that you'd bring this up, as I've been working on some decals for instruments like these.
great! Just so happens I'm planning my old Revell Blue Thunder..and wanted to detail the cockpit up.... :)s

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm moving this to Finishing and making it a sticky so it doesn't get lost. This is something very useful.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 pm

I'd like to think I know the answer is "no" to this question but I'm going to ask it anyway. These decals I see in previous posts on this thread are they printable on, say, an HP All-in-One printer? Not Laser printer of course...I'm only curious as to why it wouldn't work. I'm assuming the Laser printer can produce far greater detail in a far smaller scale.
:-k
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Glorfindel wrote:I'd like to think I know the answer is "no" to this question but I'm going to ask it anyway. These decals I see in previous posts on this thread are they printable on, say, an HP All-in-One printer? Not Laser printer of course...I'm only curious as to why it wouldn't work. I'm assuming the Laser printer can produce far greater detail in a far smaller scale.
:-k
Yes, they'd be printable on any color printer but a good photo inkjet will give you finer print resolution than most color laser printers. 2400dpi for laser printers, 14400dpi for a photo inkjet printer.
Abolish Alliteration

Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Thank you Sir.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000

DeltaVee

Re: Instrument Panels

Post by DeltaVee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:20 pm

There's a new- er - ish company called Airscale that offers a variety of different instrument decals from 1/48 to 1/24 from WWI to modern jet and every Allied and Axis air force. Lots of folks carry them. Ebay's a good place to see a bunch.
Also, Paragrafix makes a set of various sci fi markings from panels to lights to vents, etc.