Water in airlines

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mascaw

Water in airlines

Post by Mascaw »

Hi,
just recently started painting with an airbrush a passch vl and a iwata hpc.
Any way when I'm painting,maybe 15 minutes in or less I get water coming through the brush. I'm using a harbor frieght airbrush compressor,it had come with a moisture trap and regulator but I've replaced them with a husky trap and regulator. Had originaly thought that was the problem. Tonight tried painting again and there was the water again. I'm using mm acryl paints and trying to shoot at 20psi, I'm a newbie with all of this so I'm sure I'm more than likely doing something wrong,which is I'm now here asking for help.
walter

Post by walter »

Put a air tank inline before the moisture trap and it may help, and drain the trap before you start painting allso the moisture trap needs to mounted in the right way or it will not work.
look here.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/Beginne ... C3A35.html
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Is your regulator and trap a one piece unit? If so, I would bet you have it mounted backwards. Check the thing and make sure the inlet (it's often marked with an arrow marking direction of airflow. Make sure the arrow points in the direction of the airbrush or the "In" is on the compressor side depending upon how it's marked) on the regulator/trap is connected to the outlet of the compressor. Then, the outlet of the regulator/trap should be connected to the hose side.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Liberator

Post by Liberator »

damn and here was I thinking there were some leaks in some planes
There are fans, and then there are fanatics.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Drain the trap before you start the compressor, then leave the drain valve open to let the water blow out of the trap and not down the line.

If you start getting water in the line while you're spraying the trap is full again, dump it as noted above. You may want to take the air line off the airbrush and let it blow out before you start painting again.

You didn't mention where you live but if it's in a humid climate you're going to have to do the above fairly often.

Ken