Adhesive Reflective Mylar tape for starship engines

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Adhesive Reflective Mylar tape for starship engines

Post by DeltaVee »

I've never seen such a product since the original AMT smoothie Refit, but I'd like to find some highly reflective mylar tape that's sticky for putting in things like starship impulse engines, etc. because I don't have the skills, time, money or interest in lighting kits. I have seen plenty of the stuff in balloons, wrapping paper and ribbon. Might be nice if it were somewhat stiff to avoid wrinkles. Anyone know of such a product in the paper product/craft world? I suppose I could try white glue, metalfoil adhesive or photo fix on the back of some ribbon. I'm just looking for the easy way out. Any tips or leads appreciated.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

just look for "reflector tape" or Scotchlite.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Have you looked at the "Bare Metal Foil" materials ?
They have quite a large selection these days....might have what you're looking for.
simster

Post by simster »

Might look into the foil(s) that us fishermen use to finish spoons and lures -

http://www.barlowstackle.com/fishing-lure-tape.html
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Check out the main site for a cool article on using 3M tape to "illuminate" your models :D
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/wireless.htm
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. Shoulda googled to start with. Lots of stuff out there with big prismatic patterns on it. Hard to tell about the other stuff. I know where to go look now, though - craft stores, auto supply stores, building stores, probably a specialty store like "If It's Paper." Definitely don't need 150 feet of tape for a transfer truck or a fire suit. Thanks!
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

is ther an easy way to apply reflective tape behind clear parts? Would you get a glow effect if you put the tape behind a clear part and then painted the part clear red or clear blue?