seaQuest DSV

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

brunt_2032

seaQuest DSV

Post by brunt_2032 »

Hi.
Im new to the forums and pretty new to model building.

I recently, after years of trying, procured the 1994 monogram seaQuest DSV submarine from the series of the same name. To keep things short im just trying to see if anyone on here has fully finished the model and painted it. There are no real painting instructions just a few hints on what colours to use and a nice sentence that says 'can be finished to match shown finished model' which is a small picture on the side of the box.

Would appreciate any help on this as i want to give the paint job a really good go.

cheers
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Ok, I have this kit and there was a thread (somewhere) that spoke on how to paint it.

But... to me, I would give the built kit a base coat and then using a sea sponge ( which you can pick up everywhere, artstore, dollar store, etc) drip it into the color that you want to do that mottled pattern in and just go to town.
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

I saw one finished version where the modeler free-handed spraying on the darker lines of the mottling. Which looked pretty good, but was not nearly as dense a pattern as on the TV screen. There is no easy answer on this one, because its another one of those very complex patterns that require a substantial amount of effort to get perfect.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Pretty much the best tutorial I've read about this technique, and they use that model as the example. Check it out!
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/ms_wash.htm
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK