Airbrush problems

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Vetter

Airbrush problems

Post by Vetter »

I have a paasche vsr 90 (gravity feed, dual action) that "sputters" and blows air into the cup, even with water. The nozzle cap is snug and everything seems clean. I'm trying to use a paint that clogs up my Iwata and this has a larger needle and tip. Yeah I know use another paint but I'd like to get it working. Any help would be appreciated.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Let me guess... a metallic?

Or it could be that indeed it isn't clean enough and causing blow-back into the cup.
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Sounds like there is something in the nozzle. It could be a loose bit of dry paint or a metallic flake fluttering around in there. This would cause all sorts of sputtering on the business end, and create backpressure causing your color cup to bubble.

Take the head of your brush apart and clean it completely with Windex, Q-Tips and a Paper towel. Make sure the needle is completely smooth and clean. Even the smallest bit of grit can cause a spattering problem.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

Don't know how I didn't see it but I found the back of the nozzle cap wasn't totally smooth any more. Some gentle work with a file looks like it took care of the air backing up into the cup. It still sputters a bit but not as bad. Guess I'll let the body and nozzle cap soak if I can get the packings out.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Remember - The air/paint flow surfaces must be completely smooth in order to maintain peak performance of your brush. They make parts out of triple chrome plated metal and stainless steel for a reason. Go get a new nozzle/needle assembly. I doubt filing did it a lot of good. You're going to get a higher volume, but not necessarily better quality spray pattern.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

No one mentioned checking the needle. I was having performance issues with my A/B. Then I checked the needle. It looked like a crochet hook. I straightened the needle out, and the issues stopped.
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

I ordered some new parts. It's usable except for the fine control stuff.
psytce

Post by psytce »

Sometimes having a bad nylon washer could be the culprit. It is located in the body of the airbrush and is suppose to keep the air going forward instead of backwards....