Cheaper Airbrush Enamel thinner substitute?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Cheaper Airbrush Enamel thinner substitute?

Post by merkin63 »

I had some free time to do some airbrushing today and I was empty on thinner.Cheaper may not be the right word,but available closer,is there anything else available other than testors model master airbrush thinner?The airbrush thinner seems to be just distilled mineral spirits.This was not a problem until Wal-Mart shut down their model dept.I now have to drive almost 50 miles one way to my LHS to buy anything.I was hoping I could find something at a True Value or my local PPG Automotive paint shop.Thanks for any ideas and sorry if this has been posted before but I did search before posting.
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Oh yeah, regular old hardware store mineral spirits will do the job. I personally like the "odorless" variety. Lacquer thinner will do a good job for some enamels, too. Back when I was using a lot of enamels, I would sometimes have better luck using the Testors Model Master thinner with certain Model Master paints. Maybe it was due to humidity or some other environmental variable, but it was never really a big problem.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yup, back when I was still spraying enamels I just used plain old paint thinner in the gallon can.
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I agree with Joseph Osborn, Lacquer thinner works even better than regular paint thinner, especially with Model Master enamels. It helps the paint go on smoothly, and dries quickly. I currently use Mr. Color leveling thinner, but I've had no trouble using plain old hardware store lacquer thinner. It helps to mix it on the thin side, about 50/50 paint to thinner, and spray at low pressure, 8 or 10 psi.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
merkin63

Post by merkin63 »

Thanks guys,I have plenty of high quality lacquer thinner.I feel like I'm betraying my LHS but he's not so local anymore and he seems to phasing out enamels to acrylics.I'm an enamel and a metal airbrush addict until it kills me! (cough,cough)Thanks! :D
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

One thing, don't put the thinned paint back into the container with the original paint. The thinner works on the binders in the paint over time, and you get clumpy paint.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
merkin63

Post by merkin63 »

I copy that,in my location where I live it's so humid you have about a 3 month window to use a bottle of Model Master enamal once opened or it's almost unusable.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Is it that humid on the dark side of the moon?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
merkin63

Post by merkin63 »

LOL,no I actually live in western KY,the state not the jelly and the humidity is always usually 50% or higher.I stick with enamals for painting and l.e.d.s. for lighting because the humidity will eat lightsheets life a great deal but I did find a trick that I build into all lighted models.I save all the small packs or canisters of silica desiccant from electronics I buy.These are put inside to absorb moisture and can be hidden inside your builds.I have gotten alot more life out of lightsheet by using this method plus this also works great for certain colors of paint like silver that never really dry.