"Chrome" spray paint, anyone try it recently?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kenlilly106

"Chrome" spray paint, anyone try it recently?

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've got a car kit (show rod) that I'm thinking about working on for a quick build, since it's a reissue of an older kit there are lots of seam lines on the factory chromed parts that I'll have to clean up, so stripping the chrome and redoing it is probably going to be the best way.

I thought about going the rechromed route, but that will cost more than the kit and for a one off car kit I can't justify the expense.

Alclad chrome paint may work, though I'm not really keen on having to paint the parts twice.

The spraybomb chrome paint is the cheapest option and the one that requires the least amount of work (yeah I know, you get what you pay for), i've seen "chrome" spray paint from several companies for sale in the stores, I'm wondering how well the finished product will look?

Ken
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I've tried every "chrome" paint that comes in a retail spray can (from discount stores and auto parts shops), both silver and gold, and every one has always just looked like regular silver or gold paint, despite the shiny, mirrored cap they come topped with.

The best effect I've ever seen came from metal foil, but that can be tough to work with on parts that have compound curves, and pretty much impossible on wheels.

I'm interested to hear experiences with Alclad. I know they make good metal paint, but I've never seen their chrome effect.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Most of the chrome paint will just make it look silver, not really chrome. I think the paint is just too hot for it to give a good shine to styrene. I haven't tried tham all, never could justify Alsa's Killer Chrome.
Abolish Alliteration
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Kylwell wrote:Alsa's Killer Chrome.
Their description is spot on:
Killer Chrome wrote:Certainly you've seen the spray paint with the perfect looking chrome cap on the shelf at the store, and maybe you even bought some, only to spray it and find out it's simply silver paint. These companies use a "Real" chrome process on the caps in an attempt to deceive you into thinking you have bought something that will produce that result but when sprayed you see that it is not chrome at all, and far from Killer Chrome.
-Rog
walter

Post by walter »

the Alclad chrome works very good I used it on some of my tow trucks , look at my pics ,link below. On this Peterbilt http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... bilt2B.jpg the head lights , battrey box ,and fuel tank are Alclad.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I think I'll probably end up going the Alclad route, I did find some pictures where people have used Testor's Chrome Silver and while not a 100% chrome look it may be an acceptable substitute.

I'll gladly accept donations to try Killer Chrome!

Ken
Cenebar

Post by Cenebar »

A bit off topic here...how about chrome plating? I haven't tried it so I don't know how it'll work.

Does one send the parts or built model for plating? And after plating, how does one remove the chrome for detail painting?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Rogviler wrote:I've tried every "chrome" paint that comes in a retail spray can (from discount stores and auto parts shops), both silver and gold, and every one has always just looked like regular silver or gold paint, despite the shiny, mirrored cap they come topped with.

The best effect I've ever seen came from metal foil, but that can be tough to work with on parts that have compound curves, and pretty much impossible on wheels.

I'm interested to hear experiences with Alclad. I know they make good metal paint, but I've never seen their chrome effect.

-Rog
Maybe the foil would work using a vacuforming machine? Just a thought.
Normal?? What is normal??
walter

Post by walter »

-Rog[/quote]
Maybe the foil would work using a vacuforming machine? Just a thought.[/quote]

This may be worth trying just to see how it works
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

or you can send them out and have them redone.

www.chrometechusa.com

Glen
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

Years ago I experimented with getting a chrome. I used Floquil 'Old Silver' and when dry I polished it to an amazing finish using the silver powder that comes with SNJ paint. This was years ago and it was when Floquil was made by Floquil. Testors now makes Floquil and I don't know if the same formula is used to make the current stuff.

Max Bryant
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

Rogviler wrote:I've tried every "chrome" paint that comes in a retail spray can (from discount stores and auto parts shops), both silver and gold, and every one has always just looked like regular silver or gold paint, despite the shiny, mirrored cap they come topped with.

-Rog
I saw testors chrome paint at the hobbyshop in 2 different cans. both had the same number but 1 had a black cap with a chrome round sticker on the top & the other can, same # had a grayish silver cap. what is the REAL color in those cans. I left it at the store because no refunds on opened paint and testors is claiming that the paint is both colors by the way they advertise it on the cans. does testors "CHROME" spray paint look the same as the testors metallc silver i already have ? I want a mirror kind of finish as close as I can get without an airbrush to paint an Apollo command module so it will not look like the same silver i painted the service module with. they are both a lot different in the colors of silver in real life.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Testor's chrome spray can is the same as their chrome silver from the little bottle.

If you want high reflection metal finishes ou either have to go with an airbrush or pay out for the higher end paints like Alsa or SpazStix.
Abolish Alliteration
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

i haven't seen the chrome silver in the bottles. i take it that it looks no different than their silver spray paints then ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Not much. IIRC the flake size is less smaller on the chrome silver giving it a smoother look.
Abolish Alliteration
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thanks. I have plenty of metallic silver so i don't need any more of something that looks close to that. the way testors packages the cans, someone is going to be disappointed when they see the color of the paint is nowhere close to what they show on the caps.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Krylon do the same here in the UK and our Trading Standards Office is already investigating. Misleading advertising in the UK can end up costing a company an awful lot of money.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

I have used several 'chrome" paints in my time; for ordinary silver, i use Krylon's "chrome" paint, but it does not perfectly replicate chrome.

The problem is that most paints cannot replicate chrome due to how they work: flakes of metallic chrome are suspended in the binder, which settle and dry after application. but the flakes cannot reflect light like true chrome can. Some paints can reach an approximation, but it's second best IMO.

I have not tried killer chrome, but I just went to their site and took a look. After seeing the video, I am VERY impressed. Yeah, the cans are pricey, but for those kinds of results, I think the next time i come into some money, i will make the investment.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I used the Alclad chrome on the inner front part of the Polar Lights TOS Enterprise, and it was amazing - like chrome. The main trick is absolute high gloss under the paint. The part I sprayed was polished clear. Anything less than a super high gloss will dull the finish.

At the IPMS Nationals a few years ago, the Alclad people had a display with that round the world mylar balloon model painted. It literally looked like it had been plated, or real mylar!

Kev
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

alsa's killer chrome is the only way to get a chrome look out of a can...and for 2 more days it's 50% off.. you have to apply it right though, and it must be applied over a high gloss black base. I ran a test on a blister pack for my disposable dust masks. it's easy to apply, but you have to dust it on..it's like magic, I kid you not..I was totally blown away

Will

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208 ... metest.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208 ... l/GLV4.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208 ... ll/GL1.jpg
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William