Metalizers and Acrylics

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dobber

Metalizers and Acrylics

Post by Dobber »

Question about using Testors metalizer sealers

1: will it harm an Acrylic paint undercoat?

2: Will it give said Acyric paint that is flat, a metalic finish.

I'm totally new to using metalizers and not sure how to use them.

Chris
"What the hell is an alluminum falcon?!"

".....if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that I will end you." - Malcom Reynolds
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

The Metalizer Sealer is a glossy clear overcoat that is intended to protect the fragile Metalizer finish from damage due to handling, masking, etc. Unfortunately, it also wrecks the appearance of the polished Metalizer. When applied with an airbrush it will not harm a dried acrylic undercoat. Since it is just a clear coat, it will not give a metallic look to any paint.

Testors Metalizers are lacquer-based airbrush paints and come in two flavors: buffing and non-buffing. The buffing paints can be polished to a high shine but also pick up fingerprints like crazy. The non-buffing colors are a bit stronger, but in my experience are still quite fragile and especially vulnerable to masking tape. For me, Alclad II metallic paints are much better paints. Alclad is more expensive, too. Hope this helps you a little bit :)