Has anyone ever done this before?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Squall67584

Has anyone ever done this before?

Post by Squall67584 »

Has anyone ever put a BB or two into a bottle of paint to help mix it up when you shake it? I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone did this, but I can't even remember what I had for breakfast let alone where I read/hear/imagine things like this. I bought some copper/brass coated BB's and was going to do this, but then wondered if the metal might do something to the paint. I'm using testors MM acryls.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

All of the ComArt and Golden Airbrush paints come with BB rattle-balls in the bottles. I too have thought about adding them to other jars, the Tamiya metallic paints would probably be very useful.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

I just use a Paint Mixer

Then I don't have to worry about pouring a BB into my jar for when I airbrush then digging it out again
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

I've done this for a long time, including MM Acryl. Never had a problem.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've had some cheap BBs corrode, ages ago in Tamiya. Now-a-days if I do drop one in there I use a stainless steel ball bearing.
Abolish Alliteration
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

use stainless steel balls or glass beads. Copper BBs with corroded and change the color of your paint.
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

Cool, thats what I was wondering. Well, at least I decided to ask about this first instead of learning the hard way. Thanks! Now I need to find a place to get some SS ball bearings.

What about using those airsoft balls? They look like plastic and come in different weights, so maybe they could be heavy enough to work right?
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Squall67584 wrote:Cool, thats what I was wondering. Well, at least I decided to ask about this first instead of learning the hard way. Thanks! Now I need to find a place to get some SS ball bearings.

What about using those airsoft balls? They look like plastic and come in different weights, so maybe they could be heavy enough to work right?
Just take apart your car, they have lots of extras....

Speaking of this, has anyone tried bismuth shot?
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:
Squall67584 wrote:Cool, thats what I was wondering. Well, at least I decided to ask about this first instead of learning the hard way. Thanks! Now I need to find a place to get some SS ball bearings.

Just take apart your car, they have lots of extras....

Speaking of this, has anyone tried bismuth shot?
That's a great idea. I don't know if ammonia in some acrylics would act on it though and make it corrode. Terry's kung-fu could come in handy here.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I've been doing this forever too. I use 1/4-20 stainless steel nuts, just because I have a bunch of them lying around.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.