Why airbrush vs paintbrush?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jdeleonardis

Why airbrush vs paintbrush?

Post by jdeleonardis »

Ive done some searches, and Im sorry if I have missed this question somewhere, but why should one use an airbrush vs a regular paintbrush?

With the exception of primer, I have always used a paint brush and a bottle of paint (even base coats). Id like to think Im pretty good with a nice sable brush.

If Im comfortable with the old fashioned brush, what are the advantages of going with an airbrush? Ive have one in my hands to buy on several occasions, but I just cant seem to pull the trigger. Im sure its faster...but is there anything else?
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Personally?

I think it puts on a much more even coat - and even with the best sable brushes, I seem to end up with brush strokes in my enamel, even if I thin it way out

Acrylic? I'll be using that for the first time on my TOS-E
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
AZRhino

Re: Why airbrush vs paintbrush?

Post by AZRhino »

jdeleonardis wrote: Ive have one in my hands to buy on several occasions, but I just cant seem to pull the trigger.
No pun intended? :D

Some paints, mostly acrylics seem to resist going down smoothly with a brush (I have never had good results with Tamiya acrylics and a paint brush) where using an airbrush can lay down a nice, even layer with no brush strokes and no clumping.

The only advantage I can think of for using an airbrush is to get nice feathered edges on certain camouflage patterns. However, similar results can be obtained using a rattle can.

Bottom line, though, is if you are happy with the results you are getting with a nice paint brush, why spend the money on an airbrush and compressor.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Airbrushes generally give a superior coat if one is looking for a smooth surface. It's also much easier to get gradations between 2 colors, being able to fade from one to another. You can pre-shade & post shade with one, a trick I don't know how to replicate with a regular brush.
Abolish Alliteration
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

I use acrylic and I have never had a base coat I have been happy with. But the major bouns to me is speed. I a base coat a model in about 20 mintues but with a brush it will take me serval hours to get the lookI want.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Easiest answer I can give you:

Scale finish: A brush finish typically looks like it was brushed on. That is, I can see your work. When airbrushing is done properly, I cannot tell it was airbrushed. It just looks like I am looking at the "real" ;) X-Wing or whatever at 45 feet away in 1/72 scale.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Custom colors and subtle panel color changes.
I do tend to use rattle can and brush more (well most of the time since my brush died), but as mentioned above you can get some great scale surface appearences with th eairbrush.

"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Tony Agustin

Re: Why airbrush vs paintbrush?

Post by Tony Agustin »

jdeleonardis wrote:Ive done some searches, and Im sorry if I have missed this question somewhere, but why should one use an airbrush vs a regular paintbrush?

With the exception of primer, I have always used a paint brush and a bottle of paint (even base coats). Id like to think Im pretty good with a nice sable brush.

If Im comfortable with the old fashioned brush, what are the advantages of going with an airbrush? Ive have one in my hands to buy on several occasions, but I just cant seem to pull the trigger. Im sure its faster...but is there anything else?
You have to experience the use of an airbrush rather than go by other peoples worded accounts to 'really' know.

I remember when I was about 15 or so, my painting tools were a rattle can and a paintbrush. I was comfortable with that until I saw some models at a hobby store with a soft-edge paint technique that I could never replicate with a rattle can or paintbrush. I asked the hobby shop owner how this was possible and he told me about the almighty 'airbrush'. I ended up buying a Badger 250 with a small noisy 'Brown' compressor to practice with and since then I never looked back. Since then my Airbrushes have been upgraded as is my air compressor which is nice and silent.
STR

Post by STR »

USS Atlantis wrote:Personally?

I think it puts on a much more even coat - and even with the best sable brushes, I seem to end up with brush strokes in my enamel, even if I thin it way out
Funny thing is that (in my experience) the best brush for doing base coats is the cheapo testor's wide brushes. Just dip the tip of the brush in thinner, then dip into enamel. It goes on thin and without brushmarks.
jdeleonardis

Post by jdeleonardis »

Just fwiw, I bought a nice Iwata brush about a month back, and Im never looking back...
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

jdeleonardis wrote:Just fwiw, I bought a nice Iwata brush about a month back, and Im never looking back...
Welcome to the enlightened side of the force. I'm sure you'll find your experience very rewarding. :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I have 2 Iwata Airbrushes. A High-Line HP-CH, and a Eclipse G-6 Pistol Grip for really large jobs. Best ever period.
Thomas E. Johnson