Ugh...My Decals are turning brown

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SDHLaw1701

Ugh...My Decals are turning brown

Post by SDHLaw1701 »

I think the Vinegar in my decal solution turned my decals kind of brown.
I am aplying a set of 1/350 refit decals from Talon/ Acretion Models and I am using Micro Set/Sol decal seting solutions. What I have found is a few hours after application some of the decals have turned slightly brown/yellow after drying. Kind of like a balsamic vinegar color. Is there any way to reverse this? Any body else have a similar porblem
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Have you contacted the decal producer with this issue?

Microscale's solutions are usually fool-proof but there's always the possibility of a reaction with the clear coat or the decal film or even the water used to soak the decals. Can the discolored areas be wiped clean with a damp cloth?
SDHLaw1701

Post by SDHLaw1701 »

No, the discolored areas cannot be wiped away. I will have to contact the manufacturer. I have one of the early sets so, I thinl that my have something to do with it.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I would strongly suspect your water. Water from a tap is never pure and even the smallest amount of a Bromium salt or an Iodone salt can react with the acetic acid in MicroSol. This brominum/iodine salt polution is common throughout the world but is particulalry prevailent in areas where there are drilling operations or heavy agriculture. Water companies constantly monitor the levels so that they never become dangerous, but there still may be enough to react with another chemical and produce the brown.

In must experience, the decals are scrap.

Now, I only use de-ionoised or distilled water for decals.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
SDHLaw1701

Post by SDHLaw1701 »

That makes a lot of sense. I will try your distilled solution. Is there a way to get rid og the brown stain without destroying the decal?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

At this point, anything you will try to clean the decal will either work or will put the whole thing beyond question. A very mild mix of detergent in luke warm (distilled) water, gently dabbed on with a swab (Q-Tip) then rinsed off with plenty of water may work. Then again - it may not.

It may not be the decal itself that's been stained, but rather the decal's adhesive - in which case the stain is under the decal where you can't get to it.

I have had little success in rescuing decals affected this way so don't hold out too much hope - but I do wish you luck.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson