Sharpie Markers for Pre-shading?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Yoda Jammies

Sharpie Markers for Pre-shading?

Post by Yoda Jammies »

Is this a good idea?

It seems like it to me, for those small 1/144 and 1/72 kits. Just marker up the panel lines, let dry, and spray on the base coats.

I'm guessing though, there is a reason why no one does this.

THANKS

Jammies
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I wouldn't personally do this because Sharpie marks rise up through paint really bad. I found this out the hard way once when I did a painting over a sketch I did with a Sharpie and no matter how much paint I put on I could never get rid of the black lines. Even primer doesn't seem to block it out.

So basically the lines will probably be too heavy and defined to look good, in my opinion.

-Rog
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

DON'T DO IT!

I marked some parts with Sharpie for alignment purposes, painted over the lines with enamel paints cut with lacquer thinner, no problems so far.

Used Future as my clear coat, it pulled the Sharpie ink right through the paint.

Had to work around the problem by repainting the parts, I couldn't strip the model since I was too far along in the process.

Ken
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

If you do want to go the marker route, get some good waterbased drawing markers or paint markers. It'll definitely need some experimenting so that you don't end up with a line that's too defined. Shading is supposed to be subtle.

-Rog
Yoda Jammies

Post by Yoda Jammies »

Maybe a black/grey Gundom Marker?

See, this is why I look to you all FIRST. :)
(especially after the hot water/sprey can incident)

THANKS

Jammies
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

As long as it's either water based or paint based, I wouldn't hesitate to use a marker. It's just the ones that are based on nasty industrial solvents that will give you trouble.

I think it would work better with darker top coats, I'd probably avoid using it under anything in the white or yellow range.

-Rog
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

Yoda Jammies wrote:Maybe a black/grey Gundom Marker?

See, this is why I look to you all FIRST. :)
(especially after the hot water/sprey can incident)

THANKS

Jammies
Excellent idea.
I'll have to give this a try.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

DON'T DO IT. IT's almost impossible to get the feathered edge along the preshaded areas this way.

When you're model's complete, you'll look at, say, a gray area and see a nicely defined, dark grey stripe following along all your panel borders.

Don't ask how I know this.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have done it with panel lines, but be careful. Actually, it's not sharpie, but the disposable Micron technical pens. I paint the base coat, do the marker, seal it down with Future, then do weathering on top. It seems to work pretty well. Of course there's another coat of paint atop the marker which tones it down.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

If water-based markers are okay, then perhaps the "washable" ink pens made for kids would work. They generally come in sets with many different colors, so you'd be able to get a variety of effects. Crayola makes some.

Jeff