Base coat for model building

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DB24

Base coat for model building

Post by DB24 »

Hey guys, I'm new to model building. I have several large pieces of a diorama that I have fabricated (roughly 18 inches long, 12 1/2 inches wide). It has a card board base. Styrene panels will be glued to the outer portions. What I'd like to know: Is it better to paint the parts w/ spray paint or is it better to use the air brush? Or is there just a better approach all together? I know that air brushing will be essential for detail, but not sure for the base coating. Please help. Oh...and this site rocks! :D
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Moving this one over to Finishing - more likely for answers there :8)
________
Joe Brown
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

A lot of us here use automotive spray primers. Personally, I use acrylic based ones (white & grey - depending on final colour) because they are compatible with most top coat paints and finishes.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

For multi-media kits primer is almost mandatory. Helps even the various surfaces and gives an even surface for further paint to stick to.

I've used Krylon primers but found them to be too thick and prefer Tamiya Fine White or Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1000 or 1200.
Abolish Alliteration
DB24

Post by DB24 »

Thank you guys so much for the advice.
Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

I have some rustoleum auto primer here that I got from Home Depot. I like using it because it builds up a surface and fills in small imperfections and once cured, can be sanded quite nicely. For final coats I usually use spray paint. I do have an airbrush but I hate lugging all my stuff out and the clean up is a real pain, for me at least. So unless I need a really nice finish, I just use spay cans. I think I've improved using them greatly over the years.
Orwell was an optimist...

"You got warp containment problems? I feel bad for ya, son. I got 99 problems but a breach aint one!"

My perpetually unfinished builds
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I'll second Kylwell's suggestion of using Mr. Surfacer, 1000 or 1200. And you can use them either way, they come in jars for airbrushing and in spray cans. Either way they produce an excellent base coat.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.