MSDS

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

k-dog

MSDS

Post by k-dog »

Does anyone have the MSDS for Tamiya paint. Acrylic type. I ordered paint from a vendor on-line and now I am having issues getting them to send it to me.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've never been able to find a MSDS for Tamiya paints, either the spray cans or bottle paints. Are they saying they can't for some reason?
Abolish Alliteration
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

I got shipping confirmation from a place for a shipment from UPS. On there it said sent back to sender due to HAZ materials. I recently got my HAZMAT certification at work so I know a little about it. I have gotten tons of paints spray bombs to bottle paint sent to me from many places. I do not see why there is an issue here.

This would be shipping in a limited quantity and should not fall under any HAZ issues.
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

I would discuss it with the vendor and see what they have to say. Surely this isn't the first time they've had the problem.

When we receive shipments from Japan, if there are any paints in the shipment (and for us, that's just the weathering supplies), the shipment gets tagged as having hazardous materials. Then it's held in customs until we fax them a release for saying that there are no hazardous materials. We get our shipments using FedEx, but I'm sure that UPS must have a similar policy.

In our case, we are receiving huge boxes of merchandise, so there is a big incentive for FedEx to get the shipment through. They call us when the shipment is held, and then email us the form to sign and fax back.

I'm just making an assumption here, but I'd bet that your shipment is too small for UPS to want to hassle with it, so they just send it back.

Discuss it with the vendor and ask for their advice on getting the shipment through. They have a vested interest in resolving it for you.

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I'm wondering if the package broke open in transit and UPS found out it contained HAZMATS and there were no labels to that effect on the package?

If that happened I can see UPS sending it back to the shipper with a note "do it right the next time!"

Ken