Paint seeping through tape.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

itek4bux

Paint seeping through tape.

Post by itek4bux »

I'm having problems with paint seeping through masking tape no matter what I do!

I've gone along the edge and ensured it was adhered properly and also double-taped but still don't get perfect lines! It's driving me grazy! :twisted:
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

What paint method are you using? Brush, airbrush, spray bomb? What type of tape are you using?

Spray bomb- use light misting coats till you build up the color you want.

Air Brush- mix paint a little thicker than you normally would.

I use blue painter's tape and have no problems. I used it to mask off these grey panels on my raider.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... er027a.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... der028.jpg
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I usually just spray another layer of the underlining paint color (or just Future, which is clear) over the tape to seal it. Once that's dry, I just spray the next layer.
itek4bux

Post by itek4bux »

1) Enamel spray can over taped off acrylic.

2) Brushing acrylic over taped off enamel.

macfrank - that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it. Is future the same as a regular clear coat?
itek4bux

Post by itek4bux »

I'm also using regular masking tape. Should I use the Blue Painter's tape instead?
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

itek4bux wrote:1) Enamel spray can over taped off acrylic.

2) Brushing acrylic over taped off enamel.

macfrank - that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it. Is future the same as a regular clear coat?
Future floor polish/treatment is just a clear acrylic, so any clear coat that is compatible with the paint you used should work.

Blue painter's tape or Tamiya tape will be better than masking tape - no residue, for starters.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

The quality of the tape is the key.

Sometimes, if there is a really strong contrast between the two colours, I lightly score along the edge of the tape before painting. If you score lightly enough it won't show and I've never had bleed when I've used this technique.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

itek4bux wrote:I'm also using regular masking tape. Should I use the Blue Painter's tape instead?
@ the very least. The delicate purple works better for me but the ultimate is Tamiya's masking tape.
Abolish Alliteration
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

Or if you can find Shur Tape, it seems to be Tamiya tape, just more of it, and cheaper! Probably the same manufacturer, just rebranded.
http://www.shurtape.com/Default.aspx?Ta ... ductID=153
Devin

Post by Devin »

A buddy of mine did a test with Shure tape and Tamiya a few weeks back. His conclusion was to stay with the Tamiya, it's worth the extra money. His actual experiments are posted HERE.
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

Wow, a useful post, thank you! Nothing like some real research to be able to make a judgement. Oh well... :cry: Still, I'd like to get my hands on some, just to see. Tamiya is wonderful stuff, its just so damn expensive.
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Believe it or not, I have had really good luck with scotch tape. Since it is clear, it is easier to tell if it is taped enough to prevent the paint from seeping. I also run a toothpick around the edges to make sure it is down really good.
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

macfrank wrote:I usually just spray another layer of the underlining paint color (or just Future, which is clear) over the tape to seal it. Once that's dry, I just spray the next layer.
That's the method that I use as well.
Thomas E. Johnson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:
itek4bux wrote:I'm also using regular masking tape. Should I use the Blue Painter's tape instead?
@ the very least. The delicate purple works better for me but the ultimate is Tamiya's masking tape.
It is the holiest of holy tapes to be sure. Ditto on lightly sealing the edges of your tape with the underlying color or Future. Also, burnish, burnish, burnish!

Also, give liquid latex a try. I use Castin' Craft brand mold builder.

Silly putty works great too for flat areas.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Thanks for the tip folks. I had never heard of using a coat of future over the masking to seal the edges. I have used the other methods I listed above, but never this! I will give it a shot if I ever have these problems for sure!
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

Devin wrote:A buddy of mine did a test with Shure tape and Tamiya a few weeks back. His conclusion was to stay with the Tamiya, it's worth the extra money. His actual experiments are posted HERE.

I'll second your friend's results. I've been playing with the Shure tape for a while now, and it's definitely NOT the same stuff. It looks the same, feels the same, cuts the same, but doesn't adhere the same. It will practically fall off anywhere it overlaps itself. Even with heavy burnishing. Very frustrating.
itek4bux

Post by itek4bux »

Well I've been to two stores so far (Fred Meyers & Safeway) and no Future! They have Mop n' Glo but that's it! Will this work as well?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mop N Glo is similar to Future but not the same so I'm not sure how it'd handle being a clear coat.
Abolish Alliteration
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Is "Pledge with Future shine" the same thing as Future floor polish? The tag below it called it Future floor finish, but I was not sure if it is the same.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Callandor wrote:Is "Pledge with Future shine" the same thing as Future floor polish? The tag below it called it Future floor finish, but I was not sure if it is the same.
Yes, Johnson re-badged it last year.
Abolish Alliteration
itek4bux

Post by itek4bux »

Kylwell wrote:
Callandor wrote:Is "Pledge with Future shine" the same thing as Future floor polish? The tag below it called it Future floor finish, but I was not sure if it is the same.
Yes, Johnson re-badged it last year.
Well that I have seen in the stores so I'll grab some of that.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Devin wrote:A buddy of mine did a test with Shure tape and Tamiya a few weeks back. His conclusion was to stay with the Tamiya, it's worth the extra money. His actual experiments are posted HERE.
Thanks for posting that. It was a good read. I wish I could figure out where Tamiya gets their tape from. It's good stuff, and I don't mind paying, I just HATE running out of stuff and I want to buy, maybe, a pallet of it. :lol:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

If you are airbrushing, spray away from the tape edge. That sometimes helps.
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'