Paint Manufacturers question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

LobsterOverlord

Paint Manufacturers question

Post by LobsterOverlord »

HI all,

I have a paint brand that i LOVE! I have bottles of this paint that are over 10 years old and are still as good as day 1. I do not know the MANUFACTURER Of them though, because they were sold through Games Workshop as Citadel Colour in the early/mid 90's.

When GW switched to Citadel Paints (different manufacturer based out of France), iKore began selling this paint with their brand name on it (for use with Void and Celtos minis). Since both GW and iKore sold them with their respective branding, I'm thinking that it is a UK based manufacturer.

They are semi-opaque hexagonal bottles with white flip top lids (blue for washes and black for metallic colors). Due to their bottle design, they never dry out like their replacements with GW did (I HATE Citadel Colour, and won't even try Foundation Paints because of that -- and price).

They are very much the quality of Vallejo, but with a thinner consistency.

Also, the paint sold under the Minis game brand WARZONE. I have a few of these paints, and out of 12 bottles bought in 1999, I've had my first one just now dry up and not be able to be reconstituted. I also do not have information on the manufacturer of these either.

Any help would be great.

John M>
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I am quite willing to be corrected on this, but I believe the company IIRC "Acrylic Paints Lts" of Liverpool, England was the original supplier of the Citadel (flip-top) paints. They folded which was why Citadel Miniatures switched to another manufacturer.

I suggest you try the Foundation paints - they are streets ahead of anything they've done before and do not compare with the standard range. I believe that these are made by yet another manufacturer.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
LobsterOverlord

Post by LobsterOverlord »

Thanks for the info. I suppose iKore could have just been using someone that had the same style of bottle. The french paint that has been Citadel Colour for the longest time is horrible and the pots are acrylic with microscopic holes that cause them to dry out too fast.

I'll take a look at the foundation paints and see.

Thanks again,

JOhn M.
greasyspoon

Post by greasyspoon »

I think they are the old Coat d'Arms Paints.
http://www.jenova.dk/PaintReview.htm

You can still buy them.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The Vallejo paints work very well with me so far.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

OK - I've done a bit more digging and found I was wrong in my original post.....

I had a talk with a friend who used to work for Citadel at their old headquarters near Nottingham (back in the days when the original D&D was still popular). He said they used a local firm for the paints but swapped to their current manufacturer (Coat d'Arms IIRC) when they couldn't increase produtction volume. This company is still going....

Foundry Minatures Ltd.
24-34 St. Marks Street
Nottingham
NG3 1DE
United Kingdom

tel: (+44) 0115 8413000

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com

And they still come in the same air-tight pots!!!

But by crikey are they expensive! On the other hand, they will last years.

Oh, yes - they are a swine to thin for airbrushing.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson