HELP: Dust in paint on canopy!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cenebar

HELP: Dust in paint on canopy!

Post by Cenebar »

I sprayed TESTORS "Window Tint" on a clear canopy and to my dismay, the paint trapped a lot of dust on it.

I'm wondering if I should use buffing compound or just use thinner and wipe all the paint away (I don't care to save it).

Does spraying tint from a can often cause this problem?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

It may not be the can itself that's the culprit. Oftentimes, a can will shoot with such force that it dries the paint before it hits the substrate in question, i.e. a canopy in this case. The solutions are two fold: First get closer to the subject. That's easy! :) Second, cut down the pressure...not so easy.

Your best bet is to get as close as possible, and move the can in a "sweeping" motion across the subject. Don't bend your wrist. Just "zoom" across the subject to give it a good, even coat. Your arm should be moving, and your spray started before you even hit the canopy/plane/undead zombie statue.

IT could just be, too, that there was legitimately dust there before you sprayed. IT happens to the best of us. Always clean with a tac cloth before painting anything, and if possible, shoot in a booth. A large cardboard box, with a light mist of water on the inside to keep lint and dust down will do if need be works great for spraying and drying.

Back to the problem at hand: If it's acrylic, you may be able to gently buff them out with a cotton swab soaked with window cleaner. If it's a spray lacquer or enamel, try the same trick with turpentine and a cotton swab. Done right, you'll remove the dust and feather the edges between the where the dust was and the rest of the canopy. THen, you can repaint. :)

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Cenebar

Post by Cenebar »

I used a CO2 "dry ice" can used to blast air on computer keyboards to clear the canopy before I sprayed so I assumed all dust was literally "blasted off."

I'm going to wipe the lacquer all away and try again. Thanks for the advice.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I like cleaning with PolyScale's Plastic Prep - it reduces the static charge on the model as well as cleaning. Less dust is trapped.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Tuvok

Post by Tuvok »

carefull it has been my experience that when you use thinner on a clear part , it will fog up. windows are so hard to save... good luck.