Gold Reflective Canopies

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

PetarB

Gold Reflective Canopies

Post by PetarB »

I've noticed on some current jet fighters they have a slightly reflective, gold canopy. I've tried a number of ways to duplicate this but the following problem come up - any gold metallic I have - inks and acrylics - usually have too much 'grain' in them to be useful.
I've asked on ARC forums, and there wasn't much of a response. One guy approached the people that actually did the process, they wanted $600 or so for a model aircraft's canopy, so that's out!
Has anyone had any success in this?
macfrank

Re: Gold Reflective Canopies

Post by macfrank »

PetarB wrote:I've noticed on some current jet fighters they have a slightly reflective, gold canopy. I've tried a number of ways to duplicate this but the following problem come up - any gold metallic I have - inks and acrylics - usually have too much 'grain' in them to be useful.
I've asked on ARC forums, and there wasn't much of a response. One guy approached the people that actually did the process, they wanted $600 or so for a model aircraft's canopy, so that's out!
Has anyone had any success in this?
Try Rub N' Buff gold. Rub it on, wait for it to dry (a few seconds) then rub most of it off. Repeat until you have the shade you want. One advantage of the Rub N' Buff is that it'll polish the plastic in the process.

You can also try Tamiya clear yellow - either straight or mixed with Future.

A third option is food coloring in Future.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Ink in Future. Tinted Alclad, quite thinned.

I've been thinking of this myself, and I've used green pearl powder on my EX-Model Yamato fighters. Yellow or gold pearl powder might work too. It's a tricky question, that's for sure. Maybe the metallic buffing product beneath a yellow-tinted Future coat? Hmmm....
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I like terry's idea.

How about ultra-thinned gold acrylic paint?

Terry's idea is probably better. They sell inks like that at Michael's and AC Moore.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

TER-OR wrote:Ink in Future. Tinted Alclad, quite thinned.

I've been thinking of this myself, and I've used green pearl powder on my EX-Model Yamato fighters. Yellow or gold pearl powder might work too. It's a tricky question, that's for sure. Maybe the metallic buffing product beneath a yellow-tinted Future coat? Hmmm....
I'm doing it right now on my Cosmo Zero build. I'm adding one drop of Winsor & Newton Cobalt and one drop of Tamiya Aluminum to a palette well of Future. I've put on about five coats and it looks great. I wanted blue to imply a polarized canopy in a beam weapon environment BUT I tested Winsor & Newton canary yellow and green apple with great results on scrap clear sheet.

Hats' off to Terry on the Winsor & Newton for this type of work as they are dyes, and do not have pigments to worry about.

The Tamiya aluminum is so fine it has a scale appearance even at 1/72 scale.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

A thin coat of Alclad II Gold seams to work. Gives it that shimmer.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I think I have a bottle of the gold Alclad. And a Gripen somewhere...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Wug

Post by Wug »

ARC has a couple of relevant canopy articles.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/T ... nopies.htm

There's an article on gold tinting canopies with acrylics.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/t ... tnt063.htm

And another article on using food coloring and Future.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/t ... tnt050.htm

I haven't tried either method on large parts like canopies but I've used both methods for lenses and sensors.

HTH

Mike
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wug wrote:ARC has a couple of relevant canopy articles.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/T ... nopies.htm

There's an article on gold tinting canopies with acrylics.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/t ... tnt063.htm

And another article on using food coloring and Future.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/t ... tnt050.htm

I haven't tried either method on large parts like canopies but I've used both methods for lenses and sensors.

HTH

Mike
I've tinted a few canopies with the food coloring trick and it works great. THe only problem with it is for whatever reason is the aluminum in the Tamiya aluminum I use doesn't have neutral buoyancy in the solution and just floats on top. That why I used the inks this time after experimenting. They're a lacquer, basically, and the mixture of Future , and Winsor & Newton seems to be of the same density as the aluminum powder in the Tamiya. That makes a great suspension for the polarized canopy.

Now, if I were not going with the metallic powder, then I would absolutely rely on just food coloring as it's a lot quicker and I like the green and blue better.

It's my two quatloos. Take it for what it's worth.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

As mentioned, I've seen all the stuff on ARCforums. Great resources and articles, but none give the 'shimmer' that Kylwell put so succinctly - they are more focussed on a colour. I'm after a definite metallic specular behaviour, while still retaining some transparency.

Here's what I have tried, and don't like:
  • Various metallic Tamiya acrylics mixed with Future - metallic grain to big

Gold Metallic Dye mixed with Future - once again, metallic grain too big. Might see what else I can find out about this, I have not exhausted the possibilities.

Airbrushing thinned Tamiya gold - metallic grain too big.
What I will try next:
  • Very light airbrushing of Alclad Gold. Need to find some first!

Gold powders. Sounds interesting, although I take it the powder wont adhere well to the gloss Future coat.

And any other suggestions...
Anyhow, thanks for everyone's suggestions to date. Keep em coming! Very interested in seeing your canopies TER-OR.
karim

Post by karim »

I had really good success on my UF109 by painting the canopy gloss black, then dusting it with a light (semi-transparent) coat of two-color metalic paint that I found in the RC section, which shifts between Gold and Green. It was an absolutely beautiful effect...

Then I peeled off the masking and all the paint came off with the tape :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry:

Of course, the second time around didn't work nearly as well :(
Arina
Spammer - Locked

Post by Arina »

spammity spam
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Well, now I'm confused …

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

It's a French (or Quebec?) spam-bot advertising signage for Australian outdoor pavilions. Which confuses me too...
________
Joe Brown
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Has anyone tried the 24 karat gold dust used in cake decorating?

I have used it for some details on a cake and when applied using vodka as a liquid it came out looking like polished gold - no grain at all.

It's not cheap, at $8 for a teensy container, but it really looks great, and a thinned application might just do it!

I plan on using it someday for the gold visor on an astronaut figure. If it looks that good on piped frosting, it should be the dog's knees on nice smooth plastic!

Kev
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

4 grams @ $8.... it isn't real gold then.

I just use Alclad gold when I need shiney gold.
Abolish Alliteration
hossfly72

Post by hossfly72 »

I used to tint RC airplane canopies with Rit dye. Never tried yellow or gold, usually just green or red and I used black dye to get a smoked effect.