Future Floor wax question again

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

leo limuaco

Future Floor wax question again

Post by leo limuaco »

I read the thread on Future floor wax hoping to find an answer to my dilemma. First of all, I'm not a big FFW fan, but wanted to try it again. I've been working on a Batwing and have masked the canopy after applying Future. There will be undoubtedly goo from the masking tape (yes, it's low tack). Now I was going to remove the goo with goop off or goo gone (whatever). Will that application mar the surface canopy and will I have to start all over again? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Goo gone may be a little too strong. I'd try 70% isopropyl alcohol on a foam applicator or cotton swab. Or, if it's a small canopy, just use your finger and saliva to wipe it off !
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

TREKKRIFFIC wrote:Goo gone may be a little too strong. I'd try 70% isopropyl alcohol on a foam applicator or cotton swab. Or, if it's a small canopy, just use your finger and saliva to wipe it off !
Isopropyl (or just about any alcohol) will remove Future. So will ammonia and ammonia based products and some petroleum based solvents. I would use either the finger and spit method, or a q-tip with some water.

And easier solution would be to use a tape that doesn't leave a gooey residue, like Tamiya or 3M blue painter's tape.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Use Tamiya tape or Scotch tape.

Goo-gone should not affect the Future coat. I *think* I've used it in the past, but can't seem to remember. Alcohol definitely will, and the clear will get screwed up to the point you'll have to strip the canopy.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Given the citrus/petroleum mix I'd say stick with rubbing the sticky-goo off with your finger.

And Tamiya tape. Best stuff out there.
Abolish Alliteration
HK1997

Post by HK1997 »

Kylwell wrote: Tamiya tape. Best stuff out there.
I second that. I'm a cheap noob. I figured that it was too expensive since it was imported from Japan. Boy, was I wrong. It's only $3 a roll, $4 with the dispenser. I spent $12 worth of (almost) useless hardware store masking tape before settling with Tamiya. It works miracles.
leo limuaco

Post by leo limuaco »

Thanks for all your help. I'm so close to finising this model that I don't want to screw up now!
Leo
entlim

Post by entlim »

Don't laugh, I got tack/ overspray removed with some nail polsh remover, I blagged from the wife :D
And so it begins............

A Ned Seagoon production............
Julius Orange

Post by Julius Orange »

leo limuaco wrote:Thanks for all your help. I'm so close to finising this model that I don't want to screw up now!
Leo
Keep in mind, Future is not a wax as you indicated, it's an acrylic floor finish. A little Goo Gone won't hurt it all. Use it sparingly and try to use it only on the residue (use a toothpick and scrape the residue away). As already noted, alcohol will kill it but it takes a while if the Future is cured. Anything with ammonia in it will tear it apart though (and your acrylic apint as well).

Cheers.
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

Speaking of future floor wax, I just bought something like that, but wanted to ask if it will work before I use it. It's called Pledge With"Future Shine". The last time I purchased future was when I was in the Marines and it was called Future (no pledge in the name).
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

Speaking of future floor wax, I just bought something like that, but wanted to ask if it will work before I use it. It's called Pledge With"Future Shine". The last time I purchased future was when I was in the Marines and it was called Future (no pledge in the name).
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

marcus0311 wrote:Speaking of future floor wax, I just bought something like that, but wanted to ask if it will work before I use it. It's called Pledge With"Future Shine". The last time I purchased future was when I was in the Marines and it was called Future (no pledge in the name).
Same as the old stuff, just a name change.

Ken