Can I Spray Paint with a Can Over Preshading?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cenebar

Can I Spray Paint with a Can Over Preshading?

Post by Cenebar »

I just preshaded a few builds with black using an airbrush. I was wondering if I can spray the basecoat over the black using a spray can because it's the faster easier method. (I know the common convention is to airbrush the basecoat over preshading).

Would the spray can work, or should I stick to the airbrush? Thanks.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I don't think it will work, too hard to control the application of paint out of a spray can, so you stand the chance of covering all of your preshading.

Too late now, but it might work better on large subjects to use a spray can for the overall color and then post shade with the airbrush.

Ken
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

With pre-shading it's all about the control. You can paint the entire thing black (or which ever color) and properly a/b be fine. Yes you can use a spray can if the distance between your panels if wider than he spray can's paint cone @ 8 inches, otherwise it's off to the a/b.

Start from the center of the panel and work out to close to the edges. Repeat on all the panels. Then go back and move back a little from the model for a softer spray and go over it again. Repeat as needed until you can just barely see where the darker edges are then stop. The paint will darken a bit when dry increasing the contrast between the pre-shaded & solid paint areas.
Abolish Alliteration
ce25254

Post by ce25254 »

Follow-up question:

I understand that Alclad metallic paints will look different depending on whether or not there is a gray or black undercoat. I only have gray primer (Mr Surfacer), but wanted to pre-shade. Can I use Tamiya Acrylic black over Mr Surfacer for the pre-shading, and apply Alclad over the top of that?

Thanks
cE
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

ce25254 wrote:Follow-up question:

I understand that Alclad metallic paints will look different depending on whether or not there is a gray or black undercoat. I only have gray primer (Mr Surfacer), but wanted to pre-shade. Can I use Tamiya Acrylic black over Mr Surfacer for the pre-shading, and apply Alclad over the top of that?

Thanks
cE
Depends on the Alclad. The chrome, polished aluminum (any of the high reflection paints) both need a black backer. Tamiya works fine.

Never tried pre-shading with Alclad, should be interesting. If that doesn;t work you can try a post shade. Thin some Tamiya Smoke with Future (or other clear acrylic) about 1 part Smoke to 20 parts Future and gently work up the color on the panel lines.
Abolish Alliteration
ce25254

Post by ce25254 »

Thanks.
I don't want glossy -- I'm trying to achieve this result
http://www.alecm.com/images/gallery/gal ... 1_0095.jpg

And I thought I might try the aluminum, dark aluminum, magnesium, jet exhaust, etc.
As a fallback I could go back to doing it in shades of gray, but I want to try something new.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Your best bet with alclad is to postshade with various colors. I've done this before, and it works well. Use chrome as your base, it seems hardest to control, and if you want metallic, the chrome is it. There's another color if you don't need CHROME, it's called dull aluminum.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati