Gloss & Dull coats

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I very much like the PolyScale dullcoat. It is too thick in the bottle for airbrushing, you'll need to thin it to about 30%. Also, airbrush it VERY THIN. If it looks liquid on the model, it's too thick, and can crackle. You airbrush it so you can see the glosscoat reflection go away. Stop then. If you need more, you'll know soon enough, and can apply a second coat.

Hands down, it's the best acrylic dullcoat I've used. Those of you who have seen my work, you know how it looks.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

Terry,

Many thanks. I've seen photos of your work; I know it's not like seeing the stuff up-close, but still -- yeah, you know your stuff ;)

What do you use to think PollyScale flat? I've heard the following recommended:

*Windex
*water and isopropyl mix
*Model Master Acryl thinner

I'm leaning toward Windex since I can't find my MMA bottle :lol:, but if memory serves, those two are pretty similar. Moreover, I experimented hand-brushing the Polly flat mixed with Windex ... I had to use a tremendous amount of thinner (I actually lost track of the ratio, but it was easily 2.5:1), but the results weren't actually bad. I'm sure had I airbrushed the mix, it would've been better still.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I use Polyscale's thinner, AKA diosol.
You can thin a little bit with water, the paints are pretty thin to start with.

Polyscale is different stuff, and will gunk easily if not treated well. If you treat it well - thin coats, proper thinning, thorough mixing, their paints are VERY nice. I've used them on a number of military aircraft, they make a nice range of colors. They're not as forgiving as Gunze or Tamiya, but they cure buttery smooth.

Oh, if you do buy their thinner, also buy their Plastic Prep. I don't paint anything unless I wipe first with Plastic Prep. You can really see a difference. I experimented once, with some scrap plastic, wiping only half. The half wiped was nice and smooth with the Mr. Surfacer spray, the half without was gritty. Amazing - I think that's mostly static. Alcohol might do the same, but use the 99% isopropyl.

Terry Miesle
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Pledge?

I'm reading throught this and I don't understand the application of Pledge at all.

Where I come from Pledge is sold in a spray can, comes blobby [not a fine mist] and smells like a damn lemon. eww I hate lemon.

:-s
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Gerry wrote:Pledge?

I'm reading throught this and I don't understand the application of Pledge at all.

Where I come from Pledge is sold in a spray can, comes blobby [not a fine mist] and smells like a damn lemon. eww I hate lemon.

:-s
It's Pledge with Future Shine. Comes in a bottle and is a clear gloss acrylic.
Abolish Alliteration
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Glad you cleared that up.

We were out of Pledge and I was about to grab the Endust!

:P
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

TER-OR wrote:I very much like the PolyScale dullcoat. It is too thick in the bottle for airbrushing, you'll need to thin it to about 30%. Also, airbrush it VERY THIN. If it looks liquid on the model, it's too thick, and can crackle. You airbrush it so you can see the glosscoat reflection go away. Stop then. If you need more, you'll know soon enough, and can apply a second coat.

Hands down, it's the best acrylic dullcoat I've used. Those of you who have seen my work, you know how it looks.

Ter-or, I have to agree with Polly Scale Matt. Love the stuff and is the best Matt acrylic out there, but the last two bottles I have purchased produced a frosted finish and not the nice Matt it use to.

I'm going to try Microscale Micro Flat
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I'll have to keep an eye open for the frosting effect when I open a new bottle. Thanks for the heads-up.

Terry Miesle
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

Has anyone tried Mr. Color Clear Flat? I've had great success with Mr. Surfacers 1000 and 1200, so I nagged a bottle CCF from the LHS.

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

*Bump*

Anybody?

Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

If you are looking for negative data... no, I haven't tried it. I'm still using Testor's Acryl Dull Coat because I like it. :D
________
Joe Brown
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

That's a start, Joe :)

I am a little surprised no one here's at least tested Mr. Color Clear Flat in lieu of the traditional Testor's fare.

For what it's worth, I'm quite sure I applied my own Mr. CCF too heavily, so the result was appreciably flat if granular.

Is this product worthwhile? Or am I giving it undue credit because it's Japanese in origin?

TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I'll add more negative data just to prove I monitor discussions...

I've found PolyScale's Matte acrylic is the best I've ever used and haven't used a rattlecan in ages. I take that back - I have used Testors to fix some pastel dust. For that I spray the air and pass the model through - kind of like we used to do with charcoal drawings when we put the paper on the floor and sprayed the air above, letting the tiny droplets fall onto the paper. It worked suprisingly well...

All I can recommend is you be a scientist. Test the stuff. Take some old crapped-out parts, paint them, weather them etc. just like you would with a "real" model and hit them with the stuff using different techniques. Then report your data and conclusions. :D

Terry Miesle
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Help! I hope someone can aswer this quick as I need to get this project finished and I'm hitting the craft store tomorrow.

Can you guys recomend a good dullcoat over Acrylic? I hit my latest project with Testors from a spray can and it actually turned it glossy! Even pastels can't seem to knock down the shine.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Airbrush, Testors Acryl Matte Coat.

Rattle can... try a matte spray fixative.
Abolish Alliteration
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Okay, I've tried three different types of matte finish and they've all turned glossy. There must be some wierd chemical reaction going on here.

Even grinding pastels into it with a stuff brush hasn't killed the gloss completely. At this point I'm on the verge of stripping and repainting the damn thing.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
Matty1973

Post by Matty1973 »

Ok so i sprayed Tamiya Semi Glos over some decals and it ate away some of the edges, what can i do to avoid this happening again, especially since i will be doing the Polar lights 1/350 enterprise with all those aztec decals
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

I usually spray some future over the decals before spraying my final clear coat.
Matty1973

Post by Matty1973 »

Callandor wrote:I usually spray some future over the decals before spraying my final clear coat.
Apparently we don't have Future in Oz, renamed and reformulated, the semi gloss I used was from an aerosol, and I am thinking this may be the cause any more info would be appreciated
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Pandaphil wrote:Help! I hope someone can aswer this quick as I need to get this project finished and I'm hitting the craft store tomorrow.

Can you guys recomend a good dullcoat over Acrylic? I hit my latest project with Testors from a spray can and it actually turned it glossy! Even pastels can't seem to knock down the shine.
Rowney's or Windsor & Newtin's Acrylic matt varnish are excellent.

In general, I find that you really have to shake the can vigorously for at least 2 minutes otherwise the matt will come out glossy.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Matty1973 wrote:
Callandor wrote:I usually spray some future over the decals before spraying my final clear coat.
Apparently we don't have Future in Oz, renamed and reformulated, the semi gloss I used was from an aerosol, and I am thinking this may be the cause any more info would be appreciated
I think Future is now called "Pledge with Future Shine"
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

And remember - thin coats! Particularly with the rattle-can stuff.

Terry Miesle
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

Has anyone used Windsor & Newton's Artisan Matte Varnish -- the stuff for their new (?) "water-mixable" oil paint line?

I nabbed a bottle yesterday. I shook the life out of the bottle and brush-painted it onto a spare part. It's flat, alright! No say on its durability just yet.

SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Is it recommended that I spray Tamiya TS-13 clear over my decal sheet in a thin coat before I cut out and apply the decals to my model?

Also, after applying the clear coat to my model, is 24 hours the best time to wait before applying my decals?
Should I also wait 24 hours for the thin coat of gloss on my decal sheet to cure?

A lot of my models are getting to the decal stage now (it's taken years) and have never really applied decals in this fashion.

Any help would be really appreciated.
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Dukat, S.G. wrote:Has anyone used Windsor & Newton's Artisan Matte Varnish -- the stuff for their new (?) "water-mixable" oil paint line?

I nabbed a bottle yesterday. I shook the life out of the bottle and brush-painted it onto a spare part. It's flat, alright! No say on its durability just yet.
It's VERY permanent once cured (that can take a few days to cure really hard). If you apply too much at once it can dry a bit mlky, but if you're careful with it this should not be a problem. It can be airbrushed without thinning, but do not have your airbrush too far away (the mist will dry before it gets to the model and will give a white powdery effect).
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
iSteve

Post by iSteve »

I've been using Microscale Microgloss and find it easily clogs up my airbrush. I've been thinning with water as suggested on the bottle, but don't want to overdo it.

Anyone use this stuff and what thinning ratio do you use?
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

seam-filler wrote: It's VERY permanent once cured (that can take a few days to cure really hard). If you apply too much at once it can dry a bit mlky, but if you're careful with it this should not be a problem. It can be airbrushed without thinning, but do not have your airbrush too far away (the mist will dry before it gets to the model and will give a white powdery effect).
Many, many thanks for the information. I tried it on a part and, sure enough, once cured, that stuff would NOT come off. I soaked it in oven cleaner -- nada. Even lacquer thinner barely made a scratch.

lzqqqq
Banned

Post by lzqqqq »

Moderator zapped Spambot links.
FatherRob

Post by FatherRob »

So I sprayed the saucer of my 1:1000 weefit with dull coat yesterday (shot over gloss coat), and the effect is a bit milky looking. I am afraid I laid it on too thick. I don't suppose there is a way to strip just the dull coat off without stripping all the way, is there?

Or, perhaps it will look different when I get home tonight.

Rob+
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Not unless the gloss coat & dull coat are dissimilar enough (acrylic over lacquer or some such).
Abolish Alliteration