Gloss & Dull coats

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Captain Riker

Post by Captain Riker »

The "porthole" windows aren't as much of a concern as a little fogging wouldn't be an issue. as long as white light still got through, the dulling might just make it less bright. It's the arboretum, officer's lounge, nacelles, and deflector that would be at issue.
Think about it for a sec... how does a matte clear coat work?
TBH, I imagine it as clear, but less shiny. I can only imagine that it would block some light though and affect the color of said light. Like I said, I have no problem masking the areas mentioned above, but if I have to remask all the windows then I'm leaving it with a coat of Future and that's it.

sigh. maybe a shiny refit isn't so bad :|
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As a note, if you're not looking for optically clear you can always hand brush a little clear gloss over the matte to restore the clear shine.
Abolish Alliteration
Captain Riker

Post by Captain Riker »

How well does brushing Future work? Do I risk streaking? That might be an option for the areas I want to be careful about. Brush around them.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Future self levels very well. It only takes a bit.
Abolish Alliteration
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Saturn wrote:I've had that happen, but with a batch of Flattened Future that wasn't fresh, from a bottle that's been sitting for more than a few months. Which is why I only mix as needed and don't re-use the remiander.
Oh, wow. This is news to me. I've had an unused, small glass bottle of Tamiya-flattened Future for a few years now and I have been thinking of using it again. I'll take people's word on this, but I don't understand why this would need to be fresh. It separates for sure, but I figured that as long as it is stirred up just fine, there wouldn't be a problem. Is there some sort of chemical interaction that transpires when Tamiya Flat Base and Future are mixed together?

I am VERY glad that I read this here before going ahead and using my mixture I've had for the past 2.5 years.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I've been using Flattened Future for over 10 years. And I used a battery powered mixer too. The white blasting happened to me once and that was enough. And it only happened when I used a old batch instead of mixing fresh. (and no, I've never heard similar reports blaming on age)

When Flattened Future settles, it separates into three parts- Future, Tamiya carrier and the Tamiya flat base. I clearly saw that in the 1/4 oz bottle I had stored the batch in. Maybe that settling is what causes it.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

So apparently the culprit is just that the flat Future wasn't mixed thoroughly enough then, right? I first learned about mixing up batches of flat Future on Swanny's page too, but he doesn't make mention of throwing unused portions away.

I have a super glossy enamel spoon I painted as a test piece a couple of weekends ago. I think I can test my old batch of flat Future on it and see if this happens.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I use a Badger battery powered mixer for 30-60 seconds when I thin or mix. I'm fairly certain it wasn't because I didn't mix thoroughly.

I picked up the Flattened Future thing on rec.models.scale a jizillion years ago.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

I've switched to using Testors Create FX acrylic Clear for dull coating models.

I was using Testors Acryl Flat & Semi Gloss Clear but it tends to be slightly yellow when it builds up.

Testors Create FX acrylic Clears are excellent. They are crystal clear and the finish is wonderful. They are similar to the old Polly Scale acrylics and maybe even better.
willis

Gunze Sanygo Gloss Coat

Post by willis »

I used some Mr. Hobby lacquer Gloss Coat after decals, got the dreaded orange peel. It was a bit humid outside, but never happened before. I am coating a small 1/144 millenium falcon. Is there any way the peel would be less noticable after dull coat and weathering, or will it still be there?

I am trying to decide if I should sand the gloss coat a bit carefully, around the decals, to try and remove it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What was the under paint?
Abolish Alliteration
willis

Post by willis »

Tamiya flat rattle can lacquer
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Have you had this issue before? Lacquer on lacquer can cause issues but not normally. Humidity can be an issue but usually too little IIRC.
Abolish Alliteration
willis

Post by willis »

I have had an issue with humidity and acrylic clear making orange peel but that was when it was about to rain outside
Any ideas on how to help the model look better at this point? Thanks
willis

Post by willis »

willis

Post by willis »

accidental repost sorry
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Has anyone had problems with acrylic clear not fully curing?

Sometimes when I spray Testors acrylic clear it stays soft.

Edit - This sort of cleared up for me.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Has anyone noticed that Testors Acryl Clears have a slight yellow tint?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Only when reeeeeeally old.
Abolish Alliteration
SGCSG1

Tips on Tamiya XF-86 flat clear and X-22 gloss clear?

Post by SGCSG1 »

I'm looking for recommendations on thinner ratio and PSI for the Tamiya clears.

Generally I thin Tamiya acrylic paint 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner and spray about 18 psi.

But people are suggesting thinning the clears 50/50 or even 20/80 (paint to thinner).

Any suggestions on using these?
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Tips on Tamiya XF-86 flat clear and X-22 gloss clear?

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

SGCSG1 wrote:I'm looking for recommendations on thinner ratio and PSI for the Tamiya clears.

Generally I thin Tamiya acrylic paint 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner and spray about 18 psi.

But people are suggesting thinning the clears 50/50 or even 20/80 (paint to thinner).

Any suggestions on using these?
I can't tell you the mixture for Tamiya clear coat - I use Future for gloss and Liquitex matte for flat. But, I can recommend how you can find out. Go get some plastic, disposable spoons and give them a quick cleaning with Windex or alcohol. Airbrush their undersides the smoothest, blackest black you can and allow them to cure. Then, start out at 50/50 and see how the clearcoat airbrushes over the black spoon at say 20PSI. Dump out mixture and try again at 60/40, then repeat at 30/70 and so on until you get smooth clear coats with minimal frosting. This is how I add entries to my Paint Bible. Though it's time consuming, it is worth it in the long run.

I shoot clearcoats at 20-to-22 PSI with success. For me, the biggest concern, even with Slow-Dri and Flow-Aid is the distance from the target. Too far, and your clearcoat frosts but if you're too close, you can get puddling or softening of the color coats.

I hope this helps a bit.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Jimmer

Re: Gloss & Dull coats

Post by Jimmer »

I got into modeling last year and have a question regarding the finishing coat I plan to use on my current build, was hoping for a little input if anyone has the time.

I'm currently building the Bandai R2-D2/R5-D4 kit (which is excellent in my opinion) and am completing the R5 droid first to help iron out any building issues before completing R2.

I painted all silver metallic parts with Testors Spray Enamel Metallic Silver 1246.

Following steps I plan on are:

1. giving model a gloss coat with Pledge Future.

2. applying water slide decals with Micro-Set and Micro-Sol.

3. sealing decals with 2nd coat of Future.

4. weathering with panel line wash and Tamiya weather master kit.

5. sealing model with a dull coat

My question is, I have a can of Model Master Lusterless Flat Lacquer Clear Coat and didn't know if this would be safe to use as a final coat.

I have read that clear coats will react badly with the Testors Silver spray paint. Also, the Model Master lusterless is made by testors but seems to be from a separate "line" than the silver paint. I hoped that the layers of future I plan on using would protect the silver metallic paint but thought I might check with the experts here to see if anyone might have suggestions or warnings.

I would have stayed away from the Testors Metallic Silver but I didn't read about the potential for damage from clear coats until after I had used it. (Also, I do plan on allowing 48 hr cure times with the Future before applying decals and before 2nd coat of future).

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Clearcoats and Natural Metal Finishes usually aren't a good idea. You could get away with it, But testing on a piece of scrap plastic would be advisable.

But I would mask the metallic parts prior to your overcoating the rest of the model. (low tack material so you won't damage the NMF, like post it notes)
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

That's what I was afraid of. A couple of waterslide decals have to go on areas that I have painted metallic silver, so I guess I will apply Future to those spots (and use Micro-Set & Micro-Sol). Afraid to apply the decals without a gloss finish.

Thanks for the info.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

any metallic paint (Testors, Alclad, Tamiya) will lay down smoother than flat paint. You can skip the Future coat as decal prep on NMF.

But I would trim the decal as close as I can eliminate carrier film.. And knock it down with Solvaset.
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

wow the more I learn the less I understand.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

When you apply pastels to a model and then seal it in you want the powder to remain fixed to the model without disturbing it.

I made the Millennium Falcon when it first came out I used pastels for weathering it. I used a can of Dullcote, but when I applied it it did it too heavily and the pastels puddled in places. I should have applied it in several light coats from a distance to secure the powder in place.

However this will leave the model with a very grainy feel and appearance. I suggest that after you are certain the powder is securely in place to use a large, flexible brush like a Floquil or make-up brush and lightly brush the surface to remove loose particles of spray with out disturbing the pastels underneath.

Once this is done you can apply another coat of matte to further seal in and even out the look of the coating.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

EVApodman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:38 amI made the Millennium Falcon when it first came out I used pastels for weathering it. I used a can of Dullcote, but when I applied it it did it too heavily and the pastels puddled in places. I should have applied it in several light coats from a distance to secure the powder in place.
You need to watch what type of pastels you buy. For them to "puddle", I presume that you have inadvertently bought soluble pastels. The ne I get are specifically called "chalk pastels" in the UK and are non-soluble. I grind them onto medium sandpaper which gives a very fine dust and never results in graininess (in look or feel). I brush or even blow away any excess.

Having said that, it is still far better to apply light coats of your chosen flat finish rather than one thicker coat.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

They were artists pastels and I still have them from over 30 years ago. This was my first attempt at weathering a kit.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

So I picked up a bottle of Testor's Dullcote Top Coat (1160X). My question is what would you cut this with to shoot it thru an air brush and at what PSI?

Thanks
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads