The Frugal Airbrusher

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I would blame it on the Windex Advanced, as it is propylene glycol, a type of alcohol with a very, very low surface tension; it excels as an emulsifier and, I bet, it emulsified the little acrylic polymers a bit too much and leaving not much for the pigment to grab hold of. In effect, you greatly increased your alcohol load. You need good old fashioned Windex with ammonia. Ammonia allows the latex/acrylic polymers to stay soft and stretchy, like little balls of snot (seriously!) while they're emulsified, and thus carry pigment better.

Propylene glycol is used in a lot of your hand soaps and deodorants and medicines for its ability to emulsify just about anything, including body oils and medications.

Also, as I said early in the thread, this method will not work without straining. That's another thing you should keep in mind when doing this; when you're buying hobby grade paints, a lot of what you're paying for is the extra pigment grinding. The straining sifts the too coarse stuff out. But, you should strain the cheap stuff and the good stuff anyway, as you will be amazed at the difference it makes.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
takos

Thanks for the reply

Post by takos »

I did strain the mix, I have a strainer like the one you mention that I got from Micro Mark 20 years ago, though I only have one, it is very very fine but I'm not sure it is the finest.I used to use it for straining my Armory paints (really thick paints meant for figures) prior to airbrushing them. Anyway I stained the mix after the concoction was made, should I have strained the paint prior to adding the other ingredients???
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Thanks for the reply

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

takos wrote:I did strain the mix, I have a strainer like the one you mention that I got from Micro Mark 20 years ago, though I only have one, it is very very fine but I'm not sure it is the finest.I used to use it for straining my Armory paints (really thick paints meant for figures) prior to airbrushing them. Anyway I stained the mix after the concoction was made, should I have strained the paint prior to adding the other ingredients???
No, you did fine. Mix and then strain. I just wasn't sure you'd done that based on your post. That's what I get for assuming. :oops:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
takos

Still no luck

Post by takos »

Went out and bought Windex original and mixed the same concoction, same results I would get some areas bubling up and popping like boiling tar and the underlayer would show through these portholes. Got up this morning and tried with just Future, thinned to milk like consistancy, straimed and sprayed less than 20 psi, same thing. Then make a thin mix with just windex, wouldn't go through the strainer so added some 91% isopropyl alcohol, strained and shot though the airbrush, no bubbles, but the pigments started separating in the paint cup. So I guess the future is necessary to hold the pigments in solution, but why does it cause the bubbling, did they change the formulation??? It was a new bottle
penguinpc

Post by penguinpc »

When using the acrylic craft paint, what is the best thing to clean the air brush with?

Thanks!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

penguinpc wrote:When using the acrylic craft paint, what is the best thing to clean the air brush with?

Thanks!
If you are cheap, plain water mixed with a little ammonia or windex. If you want to use a commercial product, Createx airbrush cleaner works well and is economical. Lacquer thinner works for dried paint, too.
zaphod

Re: The Frugal Airbrusher

Post by zaphod »

So glad I found this thread. I'm just starting down the path of craft paints myself.
I'm going to try the thinners mentioned here.
I'm also going to maxing 50/50 with Liquitex Airbrush Medium, as noted by General Splatton on Youtube.

MC Model Works on Youtube has a great three part video where he thins and shoots craft paints with window washer fluid and with Future.

Shemi Dixon on Youtube has found that the Deco Art Americana are fairly lightfast.
I will try those definitely.

The ones I'm going to try first are the Deco Art Multi Surface Satin, though the color pallette is more limited.

Anyway, I appreciate the wisdom you guys have shared!
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
Chas

Post by Chas »

DIY airbrush!

https://youtu.be/ni4o_o5582Y

Talk about frugal airbrushing, but damned if that thing ain't impressive!

Oh you don't have a compressor you say? Got you covered there too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bnA_zfJ_m8&t=4s
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I learned a long time ago not to lowball airbrush components.You are dealing with compressed air, stuff powerful enough to make things fly across the room. Obviously the YT creator has enough experience with real airbrushes to craft a DIY one... but as a solution for AB newbies or those short on cash? Impressive isn't the word I'd choose.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Chas

Post by Chas »

Well from the parts used, and the performance achieved I was impressed.
:D
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.