Any suggestions on getting a shiny, metallic finish?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

wraith1701

Any suggestions on getting a shiny, metallic finish?

Post by wraith1701 »

Hi. I'm in the planning stages of building an Andromeda Ascendant kit, and I'm trying to determine what is the best way to achieve a silvery-metallic reflective finish (as close to the CGI model as I can get). I've heard horror stories about using Alclad; it sounds about as simple as defusing a ticking time-bomb. :x

Does anyone know of a comparable alternative? Anyone have experience with Testors aeresol metallizers? What about Tamiya? I'm trying to find something that can be applied with a spray can, since I'm not in a position yet to pay for a top of the line air brush. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What you prolly want it Spaz-Stix. They've got a rattle can chrome that's tunning.

The only real horror with Alclad is the same for most any of the metalizers and that is they are all unforgiving about surface imperfections. They're very thin, and in the case of the lacquers actually shrink, and glossy on top of all that.
Abolish Alliteration
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

There are three variations of these finishing compounds in the SSM store. I'll ask John to comment about them when he returns later.
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

LindaSmile wrote:There are three variations of these finishing compounds in the SSM store. I'll ask John to comment about them when he returns later.
Thanks for the link, LindaSmile. :) Are these compounds actual metallic paint, or are they some kind of polish?
Kylwell wrote:What you prolly want it Spaz-Stix. They've got a rattle can chrome that's tunning.

The only real horror with Alclad is the same for most any of the metalizers and that is they are all unforgiving about surface imperfections. They're very thin, and in the case of the lacquers actually shrink, and glossy on top of all that.
Thanks man; this sounds like what I was looking for! :)

Is there any special type of base coat that has to be used, or any special surface prep that has to be done before applying the Spaz-Stix? And is there any kind of sealer that has to be applied, or will sealers or overcoats mess-up the finish?
Woody

Post by Woody »

I've always wanted to try this after somebody pointed it out to me.
http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrac ... chrome.htm
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The Alsa is beautiful stuff, just hard to find.

And the polish Linda sujjested it for polishing you surface before paint. The smoother the surface, the better the shine. I've got soem 10,000 grit polishing film for just that reason.
Abolish Alliteration
Woody

Post by Woody »

Kylwell wrote:The Alsa is beautiful stuff, just hard to find. . .snippy
Hmmmm...I wonder if SSM could stock it?
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Too much hassle in shipping. It's volitile enough that you have to ship ground and if you're shipping in any quantity you've got to use a shipping source other than the USPS.
Abolish Alliteration
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

O.K., I've been digging around on the internet looking for a place to order Spaz Stix from, and some of the information that I came across has me puzzled.

One site said that the Chrome aerosol is only designed to be used for painting on the inside of transparent RC car shells, and that viewing the paint through the clear plastic shell is what gives it the glossy, metallic sheen. Is this true? Does the paint have a similar chrome look when applied as an external finish on a model?