Saving a screwed up "near final" paint job?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

badlandsghost

Saving a screwed up "near final" paint job?

Post by badlandsghost »

As it stands, I've got 2 kits right now (non sf, but the rules still hold) that were in the final stages of paint, after main assembly. Each has had a different kind of mishap, and I'm racking my brain for solutions that don't involve total teardown/strip/rebuild.

On one, I have the fuselage assembled, and after putty was trying to put a new primer coat to
cover the work, and the rattlecan developed a bad case of sputter, leaving one side with very
visible glops. (kilz primer, I usually love the finish, but hate the can design)

The second was coming along nicely, I was prepping for decals, and tried (for the first time) doing
a future clearcoat, since the krylon acrylic clear that I had used came out nice but completly flat.
It now has henious runs, mainly due, I'm sure to my inexperience with the medium.

Anyone got any ideas about how I could fix 'em without going back to the CSC tub and starting all over?

Thanks
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"What are you all looking at? Well?"
"They're looking at the wee little puppet man. "
DocTor

Post by DocTor »

If you can, wet sand the globs and runs. If the primer is sandable and you haven't covered up detail you want to see, it will work out well. As far as the future goes, sand it smooth and shot a slightly wet coat over the sanded parts.
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

For the second one, ammonia or Windex will remove the future. I don't know if it will also remove the Krylon and/or paint. I'd suggest painting some scrap and testing what happens when you apply ammonia.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can try buffing with very fine wet-sanding or steel wool. But Don't be too surprised if it doesn't take everything with it.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
badlandsghost

Post by badlandsghost »

Thanks guys, I'll give them a shot once the blood pressure comes back into normal ranges, :madsold:

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"What are you all looking at? Well?"
"They're looking at the wee little puppet man. "