Very, very fine brass or stainless steel screens?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Very, very fine brass or stainless steel screens?

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wise and Sagely Scale Modelers,

I filter my paints before I shoot them through my airbrush. I use nylon hose because of the fine mesh, and they make me feel sexy. Nothing like fine, multi-colored hose to make a man feel manly.

At any rate, the one drawback to filtering is the loss of paint due to the filtering medium soaking up some of the paint instead of acting as a true sieve. I was thinking of a very, very fine brass or stainless steel filter instead. Also, I think this would be more durable and easier to clean.

Where, wise ones, could I get such fine, fine metal filters?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Fuel filter screen. I've seen it at auto shops, art supply shops, model train shops, and head shops. I've needed some recently too, but I've been too lazy to go out and hunt for it.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:Fuel filter screen. I've seen it at auto shops, art supply shops, model train shops, and head shops. I've needed some recently too, but I've been too lazy to go out and hunt for it.
Thanks, Brad!! I will pick some up. The town near where I live has about 40 thousand people and about 10 thousand automotive shops. :D

Thanks Again!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Woody

Post by Woody »

I was at Rider's Hobby shop in Flint, Mi. and ran across these.
http://www.ksmetals.com/SpecialShapes/d ... oduct2.asp
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You want perfed metal or mesh screen?
Abolish Alliteration
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Wise? No. Sagely? Maybe.

I can vouch for the head shop idea . :smoke: 8-[

Also, Radio Shack might have fine brass mesh for making a faraday cage.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:You want perfed metal or mesh screen?
Which would youz guys recommend?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I think the one Kylwell links to as screen. The other stuff, the mesh, is only 1" diameter discs, it would be a pain in the arse to try and pour paint thru that without spilling.
Woody

Post by Woody »

If I were going to filter paint I would just go to an automotive paint store and buy some paint filters.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:I think the one Kylwell links to as screen. The other stuff, the mesh, is only 1" diameter discs, it would be a pain in the arse to try and pour paint thru that without spilling.
plus that .0015 should screen out just about anything.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Woody wrote:If I were going to filter paint I would just go to an automotive paint store and buy some paint filters.
That's the point. You lose so much of the paint due to capillary action. With the quantities involved in hobby applications, that's a huuuge percentage being soaked up by the filter and thrown out. I've been filtering with nylon hose and this has been the issue. ;)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Lt.Zombie....I can help you with that one....at my previous job we used tons of the stuff as a waterproofing screen on speaker cabinets.
I just happen to have some sitting round just hanging out. :wink:

Send me a PM with your ship to address and I'll get some out to you this week.

Free even !

Yea...anyone else...feel free to chime in.

I'm feeling generous :roll:

Modelnutz :8)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

modelnutz wrote:Lt.Zombie....I can help you with that one....at my previous job we used tons of the stuff as a waterproofing screen on speaker cabinets.

Free even !

Can you define 'the stuff'?
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

modelnutz wrote:Lt.Zombie....I can help you with that one....at my previous job we used tons of the stuff as a waterproofing screen on speaker cabinets.

Free even !

Holy frack!! Thanks for that. PM on the way!!

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Kylwell...defining away....by "stuff", I mean very fine mesh stainless steel screen.
I'm going to the old factory today and I'll grab a bit so I'll have more on hand after today.

This stuff should work great for straining.

I'll be sending some to Lt.ZOmBe today....let's wait and see if it's just what he needs.

M'nutz :8)
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

modelnutz wrote:Kylwell...defining away....by "stuff", I mean very fine mesh stainless steel screen.
I'm going to the old factory today and I'll grab a bit so I'll have more on hand after today.

I'll be sending some to Lt.ZOmBe today....let's wait and see if it's just what he needs.

If it is, put me down for some, too.

I have used the Nylon method for paint straining, but I usually
pump it throught the fabric with a syringe, dirctly into the paint
cup.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

I use these strainer funnels I picked up from Micromark. Of course, I only use the finest of the three, but I've had good luck with it.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=83119

Eric
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

modelnutz wrote:Kylwell...defining away....by "stuff", I mean very fine mesh stainless steel screen.

In that case.... er.... any chance I could get some?
Abolish Alliteration
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Lt ZOmBe, Kylwell, and the good doctor....I took a look at my supply and I have to say...this stuff is wicked fine stuff.
I'm going to try straining some acrylic paint tonight and check the functioning. ( It may be too fine)

If it functions admirably...I'll let ya' know tomorrow, early.

As for availability...if it works...I'll send as much as I can get to whoever wants some....till supplies dry up.

I told ya'.......I'm feeling generous :wink:

So, I have a question...why not use standard paint straining funnels which should be available at any auto paint store?
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

You could just buy the filter made by Badger; http://www.badgerairbrush.com/access2.htm (Scroll down the page, it's almost at the bottom). Basically it's a tube made of screen that fits over the siphon tube and goes into the bottle.

I've used one in the past and found it to be a double edged sword. While it does filter the paint VERY well, and getting the excess off of it is as simple as letting it drain back into a container, cleaning it was annoying when switching between colors. I'm sure it's easier if you use acrylics, just rinse it out in the sink under the faucet, but for folks using enamels like me it's a chore to clean. Ideally you'd want several of them, and just clean them all at the end of a session. It works, though!

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or...you could do what I do and use quality paints with a quaility airbrush and fahgettaboutit.

Not saying that you do but....

I don't filter anything.

Somewhere around here I've got 2 of those in jar filters. Gave up on them.
Abolish Alliteration
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I don't filter anything anymore either, no reason to. If a bottle of paint gets chunky on me now I just toss it, it ain't worth the aggravation. I mainly use Testors MM and Floquil lacquers, and both brands get a certain scent to them when they're no good. When they get that smell, I toss em because if they smell, they're chunky or headed that way. They also don't level out right and dry painfully slow remaining tacky, sometimes forever.

The in bottle screen was annoying, but then so is straining paint through anything. No matter what you do, you're gonna waste some of the paint. Besides, Michell is more than happy to shake a bottle of paint with BBs in it for me as long as is necessary. A shake by Michell will destroy any chunks!

Couple of things I do:
#1-buy new paints for each project and only use those paints; colors differ from batch to batch, buying colors from the same batch to be used on the same project helps to avoid embarrassing color blotches. I have 2 bottles of MM Gold here, and both are different shades, one new, one 3 years old.
#2- Stir each new bottle thoroughly, then I put several BBs in each bottle (enamels and lacquers only); they really do help to bust up the solids at the bottom of the bottle when you shake it up
#3-You should never shake acrylics, it introduces too much air into the paint (bad for stuff that dries in air) and creates tiny air bubbles in the paint which translate to the model, even after spraying. Or so goes the myth, anyway. I've never noticed that problem, but I have seen BBs rust in bottles of the old Pactra acrylics. Tamiyas don't like to be shaken, this I've experienced first hand.
#4- use a dropper or pipette to take paint off only the top of the paint so that there's little chance of chunks getting into the mix.

#5- wipe off the rim of the bottle after pouring. Do this and you'll never get chunks in your mix.

One more hint; NEVER pour unused thinned paint back into the bottle. Thinner will break down the binders in both acrylics and enamels, rendering the whole bottle useless if not used quickly. Let them set for a while and the binders break down, leaving behind a carrier layer and a pigment layer, a chunky, useless mess when stirred up.

Erin
<*>
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

AS for the good versus cheap paints, I use them both and still filter. I do use the BB method, but hadn't considered wiping my rim (insert quality witicism here) and I am careful not to return thinned paint to the original jar. I also only take paint from the top of the jar when using my pipette. Erin, et al. are sagely masters to study under here and at WF. :)

AS for the premade filters, I bought a set of them when I bought my Badger. I quit using them because the plastic mesh has too much "teeth," even when using the small mesh, leading to incomplete cleaning. There is still a remnant of pigment left behind, reminiscent of tomato sauce stains in a plastic bowl. This is what lead me to fine nylon hose. The hose work great, but there is so much paint loss due to caplillary action.

I needed something with less "teeth" than the plastic, leading me to fine metal mesh or screen.

Thinned and filtered paints work superawesome and it takes about two minutes to do so per jar of thinned paint for airbrushing. I figre with the good stuff (Tamiya), it can't hurt, and with the cheap stuff, it will get out the largest chunks of parrot beaks and cat claws they use for pigment.

AT any rate, thanks for the input. AS always keep the ideas forthcoming. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

DasPhule wrote:I don't filter anything anymore either, no reason to. If a bottle of paint gets chunky on me now I just toss it, it ain't worth the aggravation. I mainly use Testors MM and Floquil lacquers, and both brands get a certain scent to them when they're no good. When they get that smell, I toss em because if they smell, they're chunky or headed that way. They also don't level out right and dry painfully slow remaining tacky, sometimes forever.
That's some useful information Erin. I never noticed anything different about the smell of MM, (enamels, I assume?) paints. I'll have to pay closer attention to this.
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:AS for the premade filters, I bought a set of them when I bought my Badger. I quit using them because the plastic mesh has too much "teeth," even when using the small mesh, leading to incomplete cleaning.
The ones I posted above, from MicroMark, have Stainless Steel mesh. They filter great and clean pretty easily too.

Eric
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Interestin' Erin.

Now I have to go try a few experiments.

See, all I use (unless I'm sprayin' Alclad) are Tamiya and I shake the crap out of them.

But, I spray from the bottle (made an adapter out of an old cap), thin in the bottle, and (again) shake the crap out of them.

Now I gotta find out if that's been the issue on the odd occasion.

As a note about BB's. BB come in three type, copper washed lead, copper washed zinc, and copper. Find the solid copper ones or shell out the cash for stainless steel ball bearings. And if you spray from a bottle (siphon feed) make sure your siphon tube is cut at an angle and coomes fairly close to the bottom of the bottle or at leat 2x the diameter of your BBs. Nothing like trying to solve an intermitten feed issue that's being casued by the BB blocking the siphon tube.
Abolish Alliteration
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

The new inline filters are plastic? Hunh! Mine were metal mesh. Interesting...

Erin
<*>
Woody

Post by Woody »

Kylwell wrote:Or...you could do what I do and use quality paints with a quaility airbrush and fahgettaboutit.

I don't filter anything.
Bingo
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

DasPhule wrote:The new inline filters are plastic? Hunh! Mine were metal mesh. Interesting...

Erin
<*>
No. Sorry for the confusion. My little funnel filter ones are.
zysurge wrote: The ones I posted above, from MicroMark, have Stainless Steel mesh. They filter great and clean pretty easily too.

Eric
I guess I bought the wrong ones. :? They're identical except molded as one piece of plastic.
Woody wrote:
Kylwell wrote:Or...you could do what I do and use quality paints with a quaility airbrush and fahgettaboutit.

I don't filter anything.
Bingo
Yes. But like I said, I filter everything - Tamiya or Sam's Choice. :lol:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

modelnutz

Stuff

Post by modelnutz »

OK, screen has (finally) been shipped.

Craig, Kenny, Rob, Brent and Andrew......

Watch the skies..... :wink:

Oh yea, there was a bit of expence incurred..... :cry:
If your happy with the stuff,Let me know and I'll give you an amount as well as my Paypal account.

Enjoy !