wet sanding???

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

wet sanding???

Post by darth_daniel »

Hi,
could anyone please explain to me how wet sanding works and why it is done? Will it produce smoother surfaces? Do I simply apply water to the surface I want to sand? And why does it give different results?
Thanks for any help! :)

(P.S.: I think someone mentioned it regarding the surface preps he did for his FP Naboo Royal Starship which I´m also working on).
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Wet sanding is a method where you wet suitable sandpaper or sanding sponges(my preferred method).

It helps keeping sanding dust down(important if you work with resin), etc.
In short it helps keep the surface cleaner and thus allows better control.

My preferred method is to keep a bowl of water handy and dip my sanding medium from time to time.

Sanding pads/sponges can be cleaned and dried and thus are reusable, plus they can be cut down to the size/shape needed.
Said that I prefer fabric backed sandpaper vs paper backed sandpaper, way more flexible.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Also, if you buy sandpaper at a hardware or automotive store like I do, be sure you get the stuff that states "wet and dry". Otherwise you get quite a mess.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Wet sanding also helps keep the sandpaper from clogging up, especially in the finer grits (I've got some 10,000 grit that has to be wet sanded).

It's messy but worth the effort. Simply dip your wet/dry sandpaper in water and sand. When the paste gets too bad dip some more.
Abolish Alliteration
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

Besides keeping the paper from clogging up and offering 'more control' it's meant to float away the sanded particulates which can be more abrasive than the grit of paper itself- so you're letting the paper work and not just regouging the surface and leaving deeper scratches than the actual grit of paper chosen would cause.

But what does it do: You're knocking down surface irregularities (including "orange peel") which reflect light unevenly so that you'll get a smoother, flatter and after buffed/polished- shinier surface. Or in the case of Alclad it gives a mirror smooth base coat over which the Alclad can work best to give that mirror chrome like finish you're striving for. Even if your ultimate goal isn't shine, maybe you'll go over the results carefuly with a final flat coat but nothing screams 'out of scale' like a pebbly (orange peel) paint job on a very tiny model enlarged by photography.
Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half century!
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I like using spit... it stays put and doesn't run all over the place like water. Then again, I also like the gritty texture of plastic dust so never mind... :roll:
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Another very important issue is melting. Melting of plastic during sanding will lead to loss of fine control when sanding. That is, the surface will distort ever so slightly differently than what you expect it to.

Incidentally, I also oftentimes wet file for the same reason.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Actually I often use non-foaming shaving gel for wet-sanding.

A tip I learned from a friend who builds kits professionaly.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Often when I have to do a lot of wet sanding, I'll do it in the kitchen sink. Just let a slow trickle of water run over the part while I sand away. Also, wet sanding keeps the sandpaper from wearing out, by quite a lot. I've noticed that wet sanding can increase the life of sandpaper as much as tenfold.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Wow thanks guys! You´re great. :) That´s a huge load of advice! Gotta try it out soon.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

darth_daniel wrote:Wow thanks guys! You´re great. :) That´s a huge load of advice! Gotta try it out soon.
Glad to help ! :twisted:
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

darth_daniel wrote:Wow thanks guys! You´re great. :) That´s a huge load of advice! Gotta try it out soon.
What I do - unless polishing - is just keep a mug of water on the bench and dunk my file or sandpaper in it as needed.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Once you try wet sanding you will hate dry sanding. You will only dry sand when you basolutely have to.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

big-dog wrote:Once you try wet sanding you will hate dry sanding. You will only dry sand when you basolutely have to.
Got to agree here wet-sanding changed my life and never looked back.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Staying on this related topic (not to take away from the thread) I am just about to fill all the recessed panel lines on PL's NX-01 in the manly scale, 1/1000.
I have a tube of Tamiya white putty. Is that the best putty in the market for this job?
I also heard Sculpy (sp) might do a better job.
Opinions welcome.
Thanks!!
Riö<*>
Semper Sci Fi!
Founder Pro-Aztec Starship League :8)
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Don't you have to bake Sculpey? I don't know about Tamiya white, I've never used it. Is it a one part putty, or two part?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Tamiya is regular putty. Sculpy, I have no idea.
Riö<*>
Semper Sci Fi!
Founder Pro-Aztec Starship League :8)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

YEs, you have to bake Sculpty. I wouln't recoment it for putty work.

The Tamiya white should work admirably. IIRC it's a low shrink, high-tack putty that should work well for such work. I've also used Aves Slip for such things.

"Aves Slip" you ask? I don't see that in thier product line. Well, it's Aves thinned greatly with thier Safety Solution.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

For filling I almost exclusively use epoxy putty. When I do use a seam filler I use the bondo finishing putty as it is a lot cheaper than the model stuff and better IMHO.

I do wet sand exclusively and you will find that it creates a finer more "polished" surface when you are done.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Mark Yungblut wrote:For filling I almost exclusively use epoxy putty. When I do use a seam filler I use the bondo finishing putty as it is a lot cheaper than the model stuff and better IMHO.

I do wet sand exclusively and you will find that it creates a finer more "polished" surface when you are done.

Cheers,

Mark
I'd like to add to that. What I do with Bondo - which I only use when I absolutely have to like Mark does - is varnish it with CA glue. I sand it and place a drop of CA glue on the Bondo'd area. Quickly, I rub my finger around the area and coat the area with a thin fim of CA glue. Don't stop moving your finger if possible. :)

The Bondo soaks up the CA glue. and this does two things:

1.) It keeps the Bondo from shrinking.
2.) It makes it tough enough not to flake and crumble if you need to scribe over it.

As soon as it dries - when smoothed out like this, CA glue takes about ten seconds - sand the area smooth as glass. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com