Help with pre-shading!!!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

The Trekmodeler

Help with pre-shading!!!

Post by The Trekmodeler »

Hi all,

I'm about to start construction on a DS9 Defiant and I'd like to be able to give her some pre-shading when painting time comes. Problem is I can't seem to get a nice thin "marker like" paint line with my Aztek A4704 airbrush. Is it a matter of finding the right tip, airbrush or is it the compressor? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys and gals. :wink:
PL Refit E...Modeling's final frontier...These are the continuing efforts of The Trekmodeler......to get that pile of plastic to look like a studio model!
haywire

Post by haywire »

Yes.

Try a smaller tip and lower pressure
The Trekmodeler

haywire wrote:Yes.

Thanks for the quick reply! I did go to my local hobby store and bought the finest tip they had. I still can not get a thin enough line. Is there anything else I can do because I really need to be able to pre-shade this model.
PL Refit E...Modeling's final frontier...These are the continuing efforts of The Trekmodeler......to get that pile of plastic to look like a studio model!
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

The Trekmodeler wrote:
haywire wrote:Yes.

Thanks for the quick reply! I did go to my local hobby store and bought the finest tip they had. I still can not get a thin enough line. Is there anything else I can do because I really need to be able to pre-shade this model.
Very low pressure and very thin paint.
Thomas E. Johnson
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

And spray very close to the surface.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
scifi58

Post by scifi58 »

Depending on the effect you want, go over the panel lines with a fine tipped or wider tipped Sharpie marker - or any marker with permanant ink. The fine tipped will keep the shading in the panel line, the wider tip will leak over to give the panel some depth. Both have worked well for me and are far easier to control than airbrushing the panel lines.

LG Johnson
"One, two, five..." "Three, sir." "Three lock box."
The Trekmodeler

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the good advice!