Paint Chipping Hiighlighting and Drybrushing = How?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cenebar

Paint Chipping Hiighlighting and Drybrushing = How?

Post by Cenebar »

I handbrushed paint chipping (gray primer shows) to the edges of my sci-fi vehicle. The result looks pretty good, but how do I highlight the edges again?

I drybrushed the edges before I handbrushed the paint chips. Now with the added paint chipping, it looks as if I haven't drybrushed and defined the edges much at all. I don't want to drybrush over the chipping since that would hide the chipping.

Thanks for the advice.
scifi58

Post by scifi58 »

I don't understand what you are asking. You weathered the model with some drybrushing, then added some paint chipping and covered up the drybrushing? If the paint chips cover the drybrushing I don't understand how you wish to put the drybrushing effect back without covering up the paint chips. It sounds, and I might be reading your post wrong, like you want two effects in the same exact spots. Could you elaborate?

LG Johnson
"One, two, five..." "Three, sir." "Three lock box."
Cenebar

Post by Cenebar »

No, you got it...you're exactly correct in your description. I want both effects on the edges...is that possible or realistic?

I first drybrushed, then I painted chipping, and now I seemed to have "lost" seeing the edges of the model obtained through drybrushing.

Can I get the "best of both worlds?" Is there a way I can get those "highlighted edges" back, or will paint chipping always replace drybrushing along the edges? I was thinking of using a pencil to highlight the edges over the paint chipping.
scifi58

Post by scifi58 »

The only thing I can think of to get the effect you want is to start over and drybrush it very heavily, with a lighter color. Then re-apply your paint chipping. It will tone down the dryburshing effect like it did before but the more intense drybrushing will keep the weathered effect.

LG Johnson
"One, two, five..." "Three, sir." "Three lock box."
Cenebar

Post by Cenebar »

Cool, thanks! Someone mentioned using pigments to highlight the edges. I have to try that.
intergalacticthingamejig

Karismacolour Pencils

Post by intergalacticthingamejig »

I use to great effect Karismacolour pencils, available in a variety of shades. Take note: These only work on a flat surface, if you want the model satin, first spray it with matt-use the pencils, then when your finished satin everything in.

Wayne
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I use white pastel powder for lightening part. Big fluffy brush and matt finish.
Abolish Alliteration
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

To highlight the edges of the chips try using a pencil. Yp burnish the lead on the edge and it should produce a scale metallic highlight that will make it look more worn and give a slight sheen to the corner.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?