What is the difference between white and clear decal paper?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

littleyoda99

Post by littleyoda99 »

Just what the title says

Wanting to print some of my own decals, but unsure about the paper.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Clear is clear. Which means if you print something on it with tranperant inks (like most ink-jets) you'll get whatever color you're putting th edecals on bleeding through.

White decal paper is white and unless you want a big buncha white around your decal you have to trim very closely.

Clear as mud?
Abolish Alliteration
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

Don't forget if you have any white in the decal image to be printed, you will need white decal paper. As home printers don't have white ink to print with.
warcraft101

Post by warcraft101 »

So whats best to use for Starfleet symbols and stuff. I have an inkjet printer. Im trying to create my own custom Trek decals, lifeboats, and symbols and stuff.

Should I use white decal paper or clear?

Im trying to figure out what JT uses from Jt graphics
warcraft101

Post by warcraft101 »

No one?
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

It depends on what era. TOS decals would probably be best printed on white decal paper so the underlying colors don't bleed through. TMP and TNG era penant decals should be printed on clear paper as the penants on some ships fade into the background color, while the name and registry should be printed on clear as they usually have a red(?) line around the letters and numbers.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Buy a bunch of clear but keep a few sheets of white around. Generally speaking you're going to want to use clear 99% of the time regardless of the era (in my opinion). The only thing that I could see using white for on Trek ships is the strongback decals on the refit becuase they show up very light when printed.

-Shawn :smoke:
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

warcraft101 wrote:Im trying to figure out what JT uses from Jt graphics
JT graphics uses an ALPS printer that can print white ink, so it's not a fair comparison. He doesn't use a standard ink jet printer. But his paper is clear.

Hope that helps,

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?