Pleasant Airbrush Surprise

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Keptin Barnes

Pleasant Airbrush Surprise

Post by Keptin Barnes »

I just watched the first episode/installment of David Fisher's Figure Building DVDs that I just picked up at WF this year, and I was surprised to see that he was using a double-action Aztek airbrush. OMG! What a surprise!

I had always heard, in sort of an unwritten law/opinion, that "real" modelers didn't use an Aztek. Just newbies or twerfs.
When people would ask if I use an AB and what kind I would sheepishly respond that I have a Testors Aztek double-action. Sometimes to chastizing. Other times with confused looks. Or just various forms of laughter.

It's nice to know that a artist of David Fisher's calibre uses a Testors Aztek, too.

Though, I am still happy and I'm going to use my Sotar 20/20 that I just picked up at WF '07. :D
I will use my Aztek for mostly area coverage and such. :)

Da Svedanya :drink:
Sorry, I just was surprised and thought it was very cool to see that AB in his videos.
"Now Father Jack. What do you say to a nice cup of tea?"
"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

NEW STORY PUBLISHED! Check it out. My first Novelette!. April Welles:

More of my builds:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... oductions/
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If it works for you, use it. I've never used an Aztek. I started with a Paashe H, moved to an Omni 3000, and now have an Iwata Revolution. I'll use either, based on the job I'm doing. I have finer control with the Omni, but the Revolution is more convenient and pretty good control.

I have a Sotar. I use it for very fine work. It's not really a general purpose brush. Particularly when you consider the tip and cap are both $26, compared with about $6-ish for the Omni...

You're right, though, the Aztek gets no respect. If you don't mind, April, add to the Airbrush Survey.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

You have good taste. He switches to a Sotar in the second DVD. (Those two have some of the best stuff on building and painting I've ever come across.)
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

I still have one from back when they first came out, The trigger started to stick on me. So I went ahead and bought a all metal airbrush, but my old testers still works. I would say the only downside I ever saw about them was there all plastic design. And that they are really not made to be taken apart and cleaned, unlike my new brush. That can be taken apart and is all metal except for some o-rings.
Tony Agustin

Re: Pleasant Airbrush Surprise

Post by Tony Agustin »

Keptin Barnes wrote:I just watched the first episode/installment of David Fisher's Figure Building DVDs......
I knew I forgot to add those DVD's to my list of ' Wonderfest things I need to Get'.
I have old VHS copies of those very cool David Fisher programs but the audio is so poor on them.

I still have a pair of those double action Azteks and I thought they were the coolest ideas for a radical airbrush design on the planet.
However in time I gave up on them when they started to misbehave badly on me when I started mixing custom paint colors especially lacquers and even acrylic enamels.

I might have to break them out again to experiment because I have a suspicion that the FreakFlex or Com-Art line of airbrush paints might be the only colors that should be used on those airbrushes.
Tayed-Gachi

Post by Tayed-Gachi »

Tony Agustin wrote:
Keptin Barnes wrote:I just watched the first episode/installment of David Fisher's Figure Building DVDs......
I have old VHS copies of those very cool David Fisher programs but the audio is so poor on them.
"Gee Tony, were'd ya get the copies from?" :?

" I... Um,I mean," "We no make no stink'n copies!" :twisted:

Brett Green (from hyperscale and testors scale workshop)
Also uses an aztek AB.

Anyway, I still use my D/A Test/Aztek A/B although I think the performance is crapin' out on me. (I thought it might be the paint but now i'm thinkin it's the airbrush)

I'm still lookin to get a 20/20 and all the Dave F DVD's to replace my VHS tapes!

I've been modeling for about 18 years and the stuff that guy does on the tapes just blows my freakin' mind!
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I've been using an Aztec for 10+ years and never had a problem. I think they are great.
Thomas E. Johnson
karim

Post by karim »

I think the problem with Aztecs is that ultimately, they are molded, not machined.

The plastic makes a huge difference in consistency, so some people can make the brush work fine, and for some, the brush simply never works.

I stayed away from airbrushing for years, mainly because I thought I sucked at it... because of my Aztec.

Then I got a Paasche VL kit from Harbor freight, because it was really cheap, and everyone here was talking about how great airbrushes were.

Night and day difference. What was painful and impossible with the Aztec was effortless with the VL.

I've since "graduated" to using a Sotar for fine work and a Badger 100 for medium work, and I'll never touch an Aztec again.

Having said that, It's what works for you... however, I'd suggest to anyone who has never gone beyond their Aztec to at least *try* another brush occasionally...
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

Not to bash Aztec, but....

In one of David Fisher's presentations at WF, he mentioned that Testors was a sponsor of his videos, and insisted that he use an Aztec in them. I forget what he mentioned he normally uses.

Me? I started with an Aztec and now use an Iwata.

Eric
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Tayed-Gachi wrote:"Gee Tony, were'd ya get the copies from?" :?

" I... Um,I mean," "We no make no stink'n copies!" :twisted:.....I've been modeling for about 18 years and the stuff that guy does on the tapes just blows my freakin' mind!
That's right....you found those copies for me. Yeah that's right...;)
I never heard of David Fisher until I met Ed back in the old Stanton Hobby days. Thanks dude.
I wasn't too good at storing those tapes I got from you. I had them mixed in with other old tapes by accident that were stored in the attic.

The tapes didn't take the heat up there very well.
TK330

Post by TK330 »

If you like your Aztec, rock on. I have 2 of them myself. These days I use my Sotar for fine work and one or the other of my Badgers for everything else but I still keep the Aztecs around. I think one of the biggest problems with the Aztec is the 2 piece paint cup or the 1 piece plastic paint cup that it uses. They are so much harder to clean than a metal one. Not a big fan of changing out the nozzels either. Still, every once in a while they are nice to have when you want to spray something nasty through an airbrush.
The oxen is slow but the earth is patient.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I have a Testors airbrush in my basement. I can't use it because the rubber hose it comes with has a leak. :roll:
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Slave1

Post by Slave1 »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:I have a Testors airbrush in my basement. I can't use it because the rubber hose it comes with has a leak. :roll:
Mine leaked too... but trust me, super glu fixes EVERYTHING :)