Painting Jewel effects.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Padawan v 2.5

Painting Jewel effects.

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

I'd appreciate some advice on how you guys aproach painiting jewels. Like on a jewel encrusted sword scabard for example.

P@T
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

I use a base of chrome silver then after totally dry I topcoat with transparent green, red, blue- whatever?
Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half century!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What SD said.

Either Gundam Plated Silver marker (over gloss) or Alclad's chrome.

Then several coats of candy.

Alternatively, you can buy some damned tiny crystals.
Abolish Alliteration
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

Kylwell® wrote:What SD said.

Either Gundam Plated Silver marker (over gloss) or Alclad's chrome.

Then several coats of candy.

Alternatively, you can buy some damned tiny crystals.

It also depends on how small the 'jewels' you're painting are? Another thing (smallish) is to drill a dimple, fill with craft store glitter paint then topcoat with more transparent paint and clear. If it's a lil bigger you can even mount an MV products lens (made mostly for model railroad light bezels and such) which is a highly refelctive "base" and then again fill with some glitter paint and 'candy' color. Or if it's big enough you can put in tiny "confetti" bits which are sometimes colored foil and even in gemlike shapes. Ultimately if it's really big (relative to most models) you can use rhinestones from the craft store. Lotsa options depending on the size and how much you want to spend?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Red Comet

Post by Red Comet »

As mentioned by others above, I'd use the candy technique. Base coat of black covered with a layer of chrome silver which is then covered in a layer of clear color of your choice. Remember that different base coats and chrome layers will give a different effect. Black base will deepen the color while a gray or white one will brighten it. Different silvers will change the final color too.

I like to use a base coat of black, one layer of Tamiya chrome silver (it gives a metallic look) and a clear color over the top.

I have used this effect on a Z'Gok but instead of using the Tamiya chrome silver, I used the Mr Metal Silver from Gunze - it gave a much different final color when I applied the clear blue.
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

Thanks guys.

P@T
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The best chrome silver for brush painting is Model Master Enamel. Let it flow on, and seal it a day later with a bit of Future before the transparent Tamiya, then seal that with Future.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

TER-OR wrote:The best chrome silver for brush painting is Model Master Enamel. Let it flow on, and seal it a day later with a bit of Future before the transparent Tamiya, then seal that with Future.
Yup,
It's the best sheen I've seen. Did you ever notice that if you lay on a really wet coat you can then blow on it and it brightens up even more? Stop snickering, really. :roll:
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

I tried the technique described in the gamesworkshop tutorial which was all optical illusion. Just blending lighter and darker shades together to simulate the effect. The gems I was trying to paint were all relatively small. I think it worked really well. But you all can judge for yourselves at WF.

P@T
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

I often strip plated models and redo the look.
Yellow over silver simulates gold well, etc.

For some items I will lay first down a layer of silver adhesive tape and than paint it with clear colours, gives a better result than any silver paint I found.

HTH.