Burn paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kylwell

Burn paint

Post by Kylwell »

Ok, weathering gurus, how does one simulate heated & burnt paint? I'm talking paint that's been burned off the metal. I'm guessing just a fade from paint to blackened paint to burnt metal to metal.

But, is there a quick & dirty way to simulate such a thing?
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Have you tried a match head?

Set it on the plastic and light it. Some swear by this one. I've never tried it, though.

What I do, and you've seen my stuff up close, so judge fer yerself, is to place black pastel on the very tip of a cotton swab. I then try to drill through the flat color coat with the swab. The creates a mean, nasty blotch on the color. Then, on the OPPOSITE side the offending impact came from, I pull slightly away from the center of the scorched area. I also will then make feather back around to the side of incidence to make a lovely "Bounce" effect to the impact. Since the area is now a little "crusty," you can then hit it again with silver pencil dust, regular pencil lead, and grey and white pastel dust to give the charring look you want.

I got the idea from watching micrometeorite impact tests on ballistic cloth in Astronomy class in college. The impact "feathered" away from the incidence side of the impact.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Ah, I need burnt paint from engine heat. Kinda like what the Thunderchief would do.
Abolish Alliteration
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Kylwell wrote:Ah, I need burnt paint from engine heat. Kinda like what the Thunderchief would do.
I'm thinking you could get the effect you are talking about doing a salt weathering and then drybrushing your soot burn marks around the edges.

-Shawn :smoke:
Last edited by CaptainHawk1 on Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Have you seen the Tamiya Weathering Master D set?
scroll down until you see the exhaust pipes, they have videos too. I just ordered a set from my LHS for experimentation. Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but... the D set has blue burn and red burn tints as well as "oil stain"
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

When I did an F-100 years ago, I painted the engine area in metals, and gave it an multi-hued tone. Then heavy glosscoat (future), then dark black/green, then the colors. I sanded with superfine sanding stick/pads through the paint into the layers below.

But, as you can see here, the paint kind of sublimated instead of cooking.
http://www.f-100.org/images/f-100c_41925.jpg
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Ah, well that makes thing easier.

Maybe.

Still muddling my way through it.
Abolish Alliteration
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

My method is to start with silver or chrom then switch to brass, then dark brown, and finally flat black.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

I wonder if anyone ever used a cutting laser on a model already painted up...
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Robb,

I have no advice to offer, but I would refer you to photos of an F-100.

F-100's in Viet Nam were green and brown camo, but at the aft section by the engine the green paint burned away and the bare metal was exposed.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Bar

Post by Bar »

I usually airbrush the sooty marks, and then drybrush the silver on top. Sometimes, you can also put in a little rust, like inbetween the time when the engine is running, the corrosion is setting in.
It may be an extreme example(And mine was supposed to be scorch marks from blaster fire), but i did the same thing on an Arc-170 model.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?